Manual Trans. with cruise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Did any of the factory manual transmission a/g body cars come with cruise control? I ask because I am going to run mechanical clutch linkage for my T5 swap and intend to run cruise control. My car came from the factory with cruise but the previous owner removed the cruise control harness to make room for the clutch pedal rod. Evidently the cruise/auto cars used the same hole in the firewall to pass the cruise wiring through that the manual trans cars used for the clutch pedal rod. So the question is, if cars came from the factory with both manual transmission and cruise control, where was the cruise wiring routed through the firewall? I bought a NOS g body cruise control kit, still in the box so I will figure something out, even if it means drilling a new hole in the firewall but I would prefer to emulate what the factory did if there ever was such a thing as a manual trans g body with cruise control.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Wasn't offered due to the clutch rod & cruise control harness/vac line used the same firewall hole.

Reactions: 1 users

L67ss

Royal Smart Person
Dec 8, 2016
Mebbe drill a hole next to it to emulate factory?

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
That's what I'd do too... Just make a hole near the factory one, it doesn't need to be nearly as big either... the factory harness is like 4 wires and a vacuum line and the hole is like 1 1/2"!

Reactions: 2 users

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
My '79 GP had aftermarket cruise control. Back in the late 70's/early '80's there were shops that specialized in installing aftermarket cruise, A/C and power sunroofs. By the late 80's/early 90's when these once rare options became std or widespread a lot of these shops went away.

• Agree

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
driving a stick is too much fun to use cruise control.....:D
Yes but I want to keep my Brougham loaded, just like I want to keep it all GM!

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
hm, I'll have to look and see how mine is set up. The original cruise is there, and it used to work once upon a time... not sure how its routed though. I also don't think it would cut out if you depressed the clutch, so there's that..... Honestly its been down so long I don't remember :(

• Optimistic
Reactions: 1 user

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
hm, I'll have to look and see how mine is set up. The original cruise is there, and it used to work once upon a time... not sure how its routed though. I also don't think it would cut out if you depressed the clutch, so there's that..... Honestly its been down so long I don't remember :(

I'm pretty sure my aftermarket cruise didn't cut out when I pressed in the clutch. The 301's valves floated about 5300 rpm so it wasn't like the motor was going to grenade, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor