Manual Transmission Conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papa_Wheelie

Apprentice
May 30, 2009
Prairie du Chien, WI
I would like to take a poll: What is the cheapest/ easiest manual transmission to install in a 1986 Monte Carlo SS? (I'm not interested in the BEST, just the easiest with the least need for custom fabrication.)

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Get a complete set up out of a factory equiped manual trans G-body... 3, 4 and 5 speed gear boxes were available.
Find a donor car, and you can harvest every single piece that you'll need.
Unfortunately, they're hard to find...

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
Believe it or not, you're asking a complicated question in "cheapest and easiest conversion". I am trying to help, I'm not being a smart a$$. Cheapest isn't always the easiest and vice versa.

I started out with 87 Camaro pedals modified to fit my 84 Cutlass and used the complete 3rd gen manual setup. Pedals, bellhousing, flywheel, clutch & pressure plate, hydraulic master/slave, and T5 transmission. Bought it all modified from someone who did the conversion for his car for $750. That's probably the cheapest setup. If you're really frugal, you *may* be able to get it all cheaper. Long story short, he didn't like it and neither did I. I've since replaced everything except the pedals.

I'm now running a Lakewood bellhousing for an 83 Camaro (mechanical linkage), Speed Direct linkage rods, 11" flywheel, Centerforce clutch & pressure plate, and an Aftermarket T56. For my own personal preferance, this is the best setup for my car. Other than the slight mods done to the pedals, everything bolted in like it was a factory setup. Very easy, but it wasn't anywhere close to being cheap!

I might experiment in the future with a hydraulic throwout bearing but I really doubt it.

For your 86 Monte SS, I'd say find a set of late 70's Malibu/Elky pedals. Bolts right in. You now need to figure out if you want to run hydraulic or mechanical linkage. It matters as the decision will affect which bellhousing you get. You can find used 84-92 Camaro hydraulic bellhousings. If you want mechanical linkage, you can run aftermarket bells or I think Keisler duplicates the older stock style mechanical bell. 4sp, 5sp, or 6sp transmission? You can probabaly get a used 4 speed, will it need rebuilt first??? If you still have the stock 305 and plan on staying with a stock 305 then a T5 would be a safe bet. Some guys get away with using them in 350 and up engines, mine was a World Class T5 and it didn't like my 383 (and I didn't even beat on if...much). Have it checked out before using and don't use a V6 S-10 T5. Weaker and differant ratios.

Not knowing what your bank account calls *cheap*, the possibilities and price tags go up from there. You can go with either of the LT1/LS1 6 speeds but then you are looking at possible fabrcation. There are now adapter plates for running stock Lt/LT trannies with older bells and even upgraded Aftermarket T56's that will hadle more power for future HP/TQ upgades you may plan on.

Do a search here and this has been discussed many times with all sorts of combinations.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

Papa_Wheelie

Apprentice
May 30, 2009
Prairie du Chien, WI
Wow, great answer, Doug..Very thorough..The world class T5 is a good trans, I had one in my '88 5.0..An upperclassman at my High School actually had his Iroc-Z gear box swapped with one of those.

Getting a manual trans (whether it's 4, 5, or 6 speed) that will be a bolt in would be ideal. How much do You suppose You spent on your current setup?

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
Sorry for the delay in returning a reply.

I bought the Aftermarket T56 years ago and paid $1895 + shipping. About $2000 total. They are now about $2595 + shipping. The part number on mine is 1386-000-011 http://www.libertysgears.com/ttc.htm

The Lakewood bellhousing has likewise risen in price. New from SummitRacing.com, the 15015 is now $424.95.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LAK-1 ... mage=large

The clutch linkage I'm using is $65.10. These are really nice with smooth action. For the cost, there's really no use using the stock rods if going mechanical linkage. http://cmc.speeddirect.com/itemdesc.asp ... 25&eq=&Tp=

I'm using a new, stock replacement, non-SFI flywheel for an 2 pc rms 168 tooth 11" clutch for my external balance 383. I couldn't find it any longer at Jegs.com. If you're running a 2pc rms 383 you could also use a stock internal balance flywheel and this plate bolted between the crank and flywheel. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SES-3 ... mage=large I was using one until I went with a bigger 11" 168 tooth flywheel. For a 1 pc rms 305/350 flywheels are considerably cheaper.

For the pedals, there are many places anymore that make reproduction pedals. Let me know if you want the simple mod to make the f-body pedals work.

I just recently found out McLeod is now selling just the adapter plate to mount a factory T56 to a standard 4 speed bellhousing. I'm not sure just what all T56's you can use, but it's the same plate I'm using for my T56 which is included with the AM T56. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MCL-8 ... mage=large

Here is a really good site with info on swapping a manual into our cars, too. http://www.garage-scene.com/t5-into-ag-body/

If I can further assist anyone, I'll do my best.

Doug

• Informative

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Cheapest-easiest-bolt in is a Saginaw 4 speed. $50-$100 at a swap meet. Bellhouseing, $20-$50. Flywheel,$50. New clutch,$150. New clutch fork $20. Pedals and linkage, $100 used or free from a donor car. Shifter and mounting kit,$400 new, whatever used, mine was $25. So probably 2 grand for everything brand new but around a grand or less if you can find everything piecemeal but it will all go right in like it belongs there, which I believe is what you asked for.

Papa_Wheelie

Apprentice
May 30, 2009
Prairie du Chien, WI
Thanks Doug, for the detailed description of what to use..Thank You, also, BonneWagon for the simple, yet effective response..Looks like there is hope for Me yet to switch over to manual. I just know the performance of my car will be considerable better with a clutch.

Also, I'll be relying on the expertise of an ASE certified master technician, so I need to take into account the expense for labor, shop supplies, etc..I'll probably go around finding the parts myself, and show up to the shop with a basket full of replacement parts.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I started out with 87 Camaro pedals modified to fit my 84 Cutlass and used the complete 3rd gen manual setup. Pedals, bellhousing, flywheel, clutch & pressure plate, hydraulic master/slave, and T5 transmission. Bought it all modified from someone who did the conversion for his car for $750. That's probably the cheapest setup. If you're really frugal, you *may* be able to get it all cheaper. Long story short, he didn't like it and neither did I. I've since replaced everything except the pedals.

I used the F body clutch pedal, cut it and added 1.5" to the length of the pedal then welded the piece in and for the brake I used the G body pedal and just cut the foot pad to the size of the 3 pedal set up

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Papa_Wheelie said:
Thanks Doug, for the detailed description of what to use..Thank You, also, BonneWagon for the simple, yet effective response..Looks like there is hope for Me yet to switch over to manual. I just know the performance of my car will be considerable better with a clutch.

Also, I'll be relying on the expertise of an ASE certified master technician, so I need to take into account the expense for labor, shop supplies, etc..I'll probably go around finding the parts myself, and show up to the shop with a basket full of replacement parts.

I would not take to anyone who has not done a conversion before....you'll end up paying for his education on how to do it

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
Bonnewagon said:
Cheapest-easiest-bolt in is a Saginaw 4 speed. $50-$100 at a swap meet. Bellhouseing, $20-$50. Flywheel,$50. New clutch,$150. New clutch fork $20. Pedals and linkage, $100 used or free from a donor car. Shifter and mounting kit,$400 new, whatever used, mine was $25. So probably 2 grand for everything brand new but around a grand or less if you can find everything piecemeal but it will all go right in like it belongs there, which I believe is what you asked for.
Around that :D If you don't have a core flywheel, most places I've seen have a $75-$100 core charge on top of the regular price. I was lucky enough & got the trans/pedals/linkage/bellhousing/shifter for $80 from the junkyard I worked at ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor