Manual transmission swap questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
Didn't mean that as an attack on you, but I live in the suburbs here. I shift a bit to get rolling, third is fine in town usually, but I guess I could skip some shifts, no big deal to me though. Nothing like shifting my 6 speed dodge cummins with 4.10's, that gets shifted a lot to get moving in town.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I didn't take it as an attack and I apologize if I seemed to take it as one , a number of my friends bug me about the 3.08 gears I have. I tried the 3.42 when I had the 200 4R and didn't like them. Years ago in my 74 Grand Prix with a built 400 I had 2.92 gears and really enjoyed them. I build my cars for the highway but if I enjoyed drag racing I would be looking for the T56 so I can have the best of both worlds like you do...:)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

FrankyB7984

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 30, 2016
Well my project took a slight detour. Instead of buying a brand new t56 for $3,000 , I found a rebuilt LT-1 with bellhousing and hydraulic clutch assembly for $750. I didn't think about it while I was looking at it but the transmission only has VSS speedometer output. Other than getting the Cable-X or Dakota Digital conversion box, I can send my tail housing in to get a conversion for a mechanical speedometer output. I don't know which one to get. But I also dont know what clutch or flywheel I need to run. I see a lot of McLeod stuff on my buddies' cars. Lastly, i want to put a hurst shifter on but I found a McLeod shifter. Does anyone know about McLeod shifters?

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
If it has a new clutch setup you can either get a flywheel from american powertrain (pricey) and use stock hydraulics, which would be the route I'd go.
Or, the route I went because I have an olds, and there is no flywheel conversion for my car, was a stock type clutch/flywheel and a mcleod hydraulic throwout bearing. I will say, it was great for some time, but it did fail recently. Lets see how long this new one lasts. (though their customer service is good!)

I also have no speedo right now, I though about doing the cable conversion, or the box since it could be done in the car in a day. For now, I use gps for speed.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
mcleod hydraulic throwout bearing. I will say, it was great for some time, but it did fail recently. Lets see how long this new one lasts. (though their customer service is good!).

how long did the Mcleod last before it failed and when it failed did it not get brake fluid on the disk? I like the hydraulic throw out bearings but when my Howe recently failed it ruined a new Hays 55 series disk with brake fluid.

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
I originally installed it in July of 2014. January of 2016, roughly 2000 miles later, I got no pedal when I got in the car. I called them, they warrantied it and I sent it in for repair. June of this year it failed again, this time they sent me a NEW bearing, not repairing my old one. Lets see how long it lasts.

And no, thankfully, it did not even get the disc/pressure plate wet. Its not a squirt of fluid. The first failure happened while sitting, so it just ran down and out the bellhousing. The next failure was a gradual leakdown with the pedal depressed, so it also just ran down the bellhousing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor