Manual Transmission Swap SBC 88SS

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCEE442

Greasemonkey
Apr 2, 2008
Long Island, NY
Been doing a bunch of reading on the swap and have just about everything i need, have a t-5, pedals, mechanical linkage, clutch, flywheel etc.. only thing im reading is that i need a specific bellhousing, i currently have p/n 460486 (new p/n; 14061655) believe to be out of a truck. Anyone know if this will work if u get the correct clutch fork?

Thanks in advance!

rwd_pete

Greasemonkey
Oct 3, 2006
Niagara Falls
Been doing a bunch of reading on the swap and have just about everything i need, have a t-5, pedals, mechanical linkage, clutch, flywheel etc.. only thing im reading is that i need a specific bellhousing, i currently have p/n 460486 (new p/n; 14061655) believe to be out of a truck. Anyone know if this will work if u get the correct clutch fork?

Thanks in advance!

This is a good resource.
http://www.garage-scene.com/t5-into-ag-body/

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
The stock G-body bellhousing that is most common is the Chevy '606' for a 12-3/4" flywheel (153 teeth) - uses the 'bent' clutch fork. If your bellhousing and flywheel are from a truck, they are likely to be 14" (168 teeth). The clutch fork likely won't work under the floorboard of the G-body.

What did the trans come from? If from a Camaro, the bellhousing and trans mount were rotated about 18 degrees towards the driver, since the Camaro had a very low seating position in the chassis. The G-body and your truck bellhousing are meant to mount the trans in the upright position. You will have to fabricate a tilted trans mount to match.

I'll stop now and await further questions. Ditto on Garage Scene. I lucked out and parted a 1978 SS El Camino that had the 697 bellhousing, so I was able to use a 14" flywheel with 11" clutch in my coupe.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor