Marine heads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bludacious

Apprentice
Jan 2, 2018
If I were in your position and going through the trouble of a head swap, I'd go just a bit deeper and add a cam to the mix. That will likely net you more power gain than a head swap. Goodwrench replacement engines have pretty lame cams.
I'm planning on a moderate cam in the future, but as it sits now better heads is a relatively quicker swap for this car since it is my daily driver and I have a new carb in the mail anyways. Cam means taking out the radiator and water pump AND heat exchanger (AC car) which is a bit more involved.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
It is more work. But if you do the cam later you still have to pull the valve covers, rockers, pushrods, distributor, carb, intake, and drain the coolant and oil again. Saves a bunch of time and gaskets to just do it once.
Then again, if you just do the heads alone you can update us on whether or not you could actually tell a difference with just swapping stock 305 heads for stock 305 heads.

Reactions: 1 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
^^ #1 performance upgrade for 95% of Gbodys.^^

• Agree

Yav8

Master Mechanic
Aug 19, 2014
Manitowoc wis.
If your going to do all that work for only a little gain, then just do a 350 swap and gain the extra 45 inches making more of everything.

• Agree

84 El Camino 231

Apprentice
Nov 16, 2018
I say be happy with what you've got but if you wanna spend then go BBC and/or fuel injection. Having heads detailed is usually expensive thus consider new aluminum edelbrock heads but check them carefully, they'll likely need some light work (check concentricity for good seat sealing).

Nothing special about marine heads, best improvement for chev heads is unshrouding the valves. Big valves shrouded are slightly better than having small valves.

If they're 350 heads, I believe the valve heads are too big and likely bounce off the cylinder walls of a 305, head gasket might not even seal properly.

I drive on highway myself, so I like tall rear ends but getting something shorter will definitely help the hole shot. How do those guys running 4:11's stand those high RPM's?

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I say be happy with what you've got but if you wanna spend then go BBC and/or fuel injection. Having heads detailed is usually expensive thus consider new aluminum edelbrock heads but check them carefully, they'll likely need some light work (check concentricity for good seat sealing).

Nothing special about marine heads, best improvement for chev heads is unshrouding the valves. Big valves shrouded are slightly better than having small valves.

If they're 350 heads, I believe the valve heads are too big and likely bounce off the cylinder walls of a 305, head gasket might not even seal properly.

I drive on highway myself, so I like tall rear ends but getting something shorter will definitely help the hole shot. How do those guys running 4:11's stand those high RPM's?
I don't think you'll find too many guys running 4:11s on street cars. It seems that 3.23, 3.42, 3.73s with overdrives are the norm. All way less lame than 2.29s or 2.56s that lots of Gs came with.
Deeper gears really do make our cars feel like they've got an extra hundred horsepower.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

84 El Camino 231

Apprentice
Nov 16, 2018
I forgot to mention, the marine heads most likely will have stainless valves installed. As far as rear gear goes, 2.71 without OD is about all I can stand but to each his own.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
The only marine heads that would be worth it for 305s would be the 8059 Vortec heads for 305s. There are guys on Thirdgen making 300 hp with 305s with 059 heads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor