Market Values

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I truly respect your ideas about this, but disagree. There is BIG monies in the automotive collecting arena, and you ask ANY collector, they will refer to their purchases and collection as their investment. I can speak for myself on this one.

I think we will remain at odds on this one.... :giggle:

• Agree
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Now your talking net gains comparisons lol, a profit is a profit is a profit, weather its a dollar or a million...why the h*ll is everyone picking on me today :LOL:
Because you're WRONG! :) Plus, we're bored. haha

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
Because you're WRONG! :) Plus, we're bored. haha
Im NOT wrong!! just ask me!! :giggle: Its ok to disagree respectfully, that's what makes life interesting!... and people can often learn in a constructive manner too.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I am not, nor ever want to be a "car collector". It's like work. Work isn't fun. I have a bunch of cars. They followed me home or ended up where I bought them because I liked them. And unless I'm wanting to buy something else, I never advertise them for sale. Because I don't buy them with any interest in ever selling them going in. I know how much insurance and repairs, and parts and upkeep cost even with me doing the work.

Can you make a profit flipping cars? Sure. I think my brother is an idiot. But he's a gifted salesman. He used to drive trucks and would spy cars sitting in people's yard, and come back later and offer them $500 for that Alero or Grand Am with a bad head gasket, otherwise in great shape. Most of the time, he'd get the owner to basically dump the car on him by just signing the back of the title, he would hire a mechanic to replace the head gasket for a few hundred, get it running right, and sit it out front in his yard for $1500. Bam, in a week, he made 500 bones profit and hands over a title with the owner's name on it. Which looks like he technically never owned the vehicle. Legal? I dunno. Didn't want to ask. There's been times he's sold 8 or 10 cars in a month from his driveway. He averaged around 3 or 4 cars per month. Don't know his exact profits, but he was getting "free" washer and dryer upgrades in no time, as well as buying a newer truck that others paid for. No overhead other than repair costs, and he usually farmed that out to a retired mechanic he knew. He was also friends with a paint/body guy who did work on the side. So if a car needed a touch up...no problem. People wanting to buy their kids their first car were the ones that would buy them from him for the most part. Keeping it on the cheap kept inventory rolling and cash flowing. He eventually opened his own little corner car lot and made quite a haul selling what I considered "high school A to B cars". More work than I'd want to do, but for him, it was fun. He likes to do crap like that. I don't have the patience with people in general.

Reactions: 2 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I have been looking at low mileage 1985-1990 Trans Ams for months leading into corona season. They are anywhere between $12000 and $20000. More if the owner is ridiculous. I find myself holding off now to see if the car market craps out to grab one cheaper. I wonder how long that will take? Prices have gotten so ignorant that it’s bound to happen.

Food for thought:

Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
We are watching an "undesirable model" but very clean car right now - we just need things to get a little rougher economically and I am certain I can get the Mrs to commit to it. It is for her after all. I need it to be cheap enough to justify all the upgrades it would need to be comparible to the desirable version. Fortunately the car is in one of the less affluent Provinces and the guy should be positioned to deal soon enough.

Reactions: 1 users

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
The only f-body I owned was a 3rd gen that was strictly a parts donor. Bought it from PA, drove it to the car wash, hosed it all off, drove it home and started stripping it down :LOL: . It was a 87' WS6 from PA, had rust/rot issues and this was in 2002. Cool car when new or clean though, red/silver gfx, t-tops, digital dash, 305 TPI/auto, gray interior. Forget the gears but the TPI made it's home into my Luxury Sport. Made a little profit on it so the TPI and all the nuts/bolts were "free". Think I scrapped it with the 305 short block and 7004r still in the car, rear was removed. Thumbnail of the actual car already being parted and one grabbed online that is identical to how it looked.

They can be cool cars depending on the year/trim level, not trying to dog 3rd gens. If I was to get one I'd try to get a clone of Dwight Schrute's(The Office):
SchruteFarmTransAm.jpg

Attachments

• TPIdonor.jpg
    TPIdonor.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 103
  • 87TAairlineyard1987PontiacTransAm.jpg
    87TAairlineyard1987PontiacTransAm.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 105

Anyone68

n00b
Nov 10, 2017
Detroit
I have been looking at low mileage 1985-1990 Trans Ams for months leading into corona season. They are anywhere between $12000 and $20000. More if the owner is ridiculous. I find myself holding off now to see if the car market craps out to grab one cheaper. I wonder how long that will take? Prices have gotten so ignorant that it’s bound to happen.
I have one 89 gta owned it for 24 years now

Attachments

• 20190527_210546_1567121244618.jpg
    20190527_210546_1567121244618.jpg
    614.4 KB · Views: 107

500/600

Royal Smart Person
Nov 17, 2018
West Virginia
Yep. That would be what I'm looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor