Master cylinder for Blazer brake upgrade with C5 fronts and (stock drum rears) 12/18-upgrade to rear disc

Status
Not open for further replies.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I edited my original post. I read from a few places that the s10 ones were bubble flare but they must have been wrong.

Gotta take what you read on the interwebz with a grain of salt I guess, who knew :O

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I can't stand the snap in plastic reservoir caps. They're noted for leaking and when you pop the cover off to inspect the fluid and reinstall them.
I do like the screw on cap type reservoir on the RHD Blazer master cylinder. That will definitely be my next master cylinder when the time comes.

Last edited:

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I just ordered the B-body ('89 Buick Electra Estate) cylinder only for the reason that it looks stock and it was cheaper than the others. I'll update when it's installed of how well, or not well, it works.

p.s. - if it doesn't work, then I'll be onto the Blazer one Turna linked.

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I'm not a brake expert, but the B-Body wagons (like an '89 Electra) had 12" front disks. and I think the 12" single piston (3" diameter) actually has more volume than the dual piston C5/LS1 calipers (1.75" diameter).

Electra Master cylinders are like $25 on Rockauto, so It might be worth a shot.

New Raybestos (no core) down in flames - leaking from the shaft after bench bleeding. Tried to return it to Rock Auto and got declined ???!#@!? Sent them an email and we'll see how that turns out. I can see the shaft a coming for my $49, hopefully I don't feel it - lol.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I'm not a brake expert, but the B-Body wagons (like an '89 Electra) had 12" front disks. and I think the 12" single piston (3" diameter) actually has more volume than the dual piston C5/LS1 calipers (1.75" diameter).

Electra Master cylinders are like $25 on Rockauto, so It might be worth a shot.

^^^this^^^ will not work. The diameter of the m/c is too big to go into the booster.

But this was good for building my m/c bench bleeding skills - lol. OK Turna, I'm onto the S10 right hand drive unit. I'm going to find out how well it works with stock rear drums and proportioning valve.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
^^^this^^^ will not work. The diameter of the m/c is too big to go into the booster.

But this was good for building my m/c bench bleeding skills - lol. OK Turna, I'm onto the S10 right hand drive unit. I'm going to find out how well it works with stock rear drums and proportioning valve.

Odd. Wonder if the new ones/the one you got aren't made to factory specs. I got a OEM one off a car from the salvage yard and it works great.

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I ordered one for an '89 Electra Wagon - too big, trust me :)

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Odd. Wonder if the new ones/the one you got aren't made to factory specs. I got a OEM one off a car from the salvage yard and it works great.

From doing some more reading, and looking at pictures on Rock Auto, it appears that later models might have an option for a larger bore booster to accept the master cylinder I bought. We have the double diaphragm booster that appears to be the stock '80 Cutlass 'HD' unit. But it does not interchange, according to Rock Auto with much of anything newer than an '81.

81cutlass, what year is your car that you put the larger m/c onto?

Does anyone else have a booster laying around that could be measured?

Lastly, we were thinking of swapping to the single diaphragm booster for appearance only. Is the stopping power, required foot/leg pressure varied from the double diaphragm?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor