Master Cylinder swap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MechMan

Master Mechanic
Sep 13, 2018
Kingsport, TN
I am looking to put the C5 brakes on the front and swapping to disk brakes in the rear on a 83-88 Monte Carlo SS. I know I have to change the brake proportion valve. Will I need to change the master cyclider as well?

Last edited:

malibudave

Greasemonkey
Mar 12, 2010
Houston, TX
Mostly likely you will not need to, but it will depend on the size of the rear caliper's piston. The C5 front caliper needs less volume than the front metric caliper. Since you should have a stock step bore master cylinder that supplies more volume, you will be good for the front. If you run a metric caliper on the rear, which is one of the larges piston rear caliper you can put on the back, you will want to step up to a 1.0" bore master cylinder for the extra volume and to keep the rear brakes from being too "touchy". If you run a stock size, rear caliper, you will be fine with the stock master cylinder.

MechMan

Master Mechanic
Sep 13, 2018
Kingsport, TN
The rear brakes that will probably use are the Will Wood Dynapro Low-Profile Pro-Series disk brake. They camoe with the 12 bolt that I am looking to get.

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
I am looking to put the C5 brakes on the front and swapping to disk brakes in the rear on a 83-88 Monte Carlo SS. I know I have to change the brake proportion valve. Will I need to change the master cyclider as well?
I'd go to a 1" bore master as that is what the Corvette has. A stock aluminum gbody master is a dual stepped bore (1.41" , .94") and used for "low-drag" brakes of that era. An older gbody iron master isn't a step bore but not a 1" bore either.
A couple of ways to go for a bolt-on 1" single bore master for a gbody. One is from a right hand drive S10 pickup and the other from a Riviera. The S10 is aluminum and the Riviera is iron. Both will be bolt-on and go.

malibudave

Greasemonkey
Mar 12, 2010
Houston, TX
The C5 front caliper need less fluid volume than the stock, front metric caliper.

The rear caliper have a 1.2" piston diameters. The rear calipers use less fluid volume than most single piston calipers even the stock C5 corvette rear calipers. You will be fine with the stock master cylinder if it is in good working order.

Most of the "universal" disc/disc prop valves will bolt into place of the disc/drum prop valve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor