Me being a **** at the 2016 SORC

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Chevy big blocks have a long history with road racing. You just have to prepare the platform accordingly, and like UNGN said, a good helping of aluminum parts will get you straightened out.

I wish I got pictures of it but at our MSR track day I guy was restoring a BBC Hillborn injected 1970's Canam car. He didn't have the bodywork on it, but the monocoque was polished aluminum and the car looked amazing. He had just got it running and was testing the systems. It looked like $1 million and probably was.

Reactions: 2 users

Mikej89

Apprentice
Apr 1, 2014
A new 5.0L mustang or SS camaro will kick the crap out of a STI WRX from 110 to 145 for about the same price. My 2+2 will kick the crap out of a new 5.0L or SS Camaro from 110 to 145mph so an STI will look like its standing still coming out of 110mph corners.

Cars have their strong points and weak points. High speed road racing is a week point for most 4 cylinders, including stockish STI's.

The Car in the video was a $40K STI, not a $27K WRX. My 2+2 would have passed a regular WRX in less than 3 minutes and not 4.5 minutes (with a 1 minute head start). I'm sure either WRX would destroy the 2+2 in a parking lot autocross, however... that's not what we built it for.

That's really cool you can compete with those new sporty cars with a G-body. They probably don't think you have a 502 under the hood either lol. No matter how much boost they pump into those little boxer 4's, they'll be hard pressed to make 550 ft lbs of torque like you do with ease.

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
Yeah, the Subaru guy had no business being in the 120mph class. From the looks of it he didn't have any business being in the 115mph or even a 100mph class. I don't think people realize how fast you have to go to average these high speeds. You blew by him like nothing. Lol.

How did you end up doing at this event?

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
How did you end up doing at this event?

We were .362 seconds off perfect (+.024 mph) after 57 miles and got 3rd place in the 115 mph class.

It was a pretty tough class in 2016. Robbi Smith, who won the class is a local who has been driving the road for 45 years and usually wins the 105 mph class in his lightning pickup, but he "borrowed" his 92 year old dad's C7 and entered the 115. 2nd place was Brian Haskett in an '03 Cobra (I think he's builds GPS missile guidance systems for a day job - probably is a useful skill for this type of racing) and he is always within .1 seconds.

Open road racing has become very competitive and even finishing within .2 seconds from perfect doesn't guarantee a trophy. At Big Bend in 2012 in the 140 mph class, .200 seconds from perfect after 118 miles got you 5th place.

Reactions: 1 user

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
We were .362 seconds off perfect (+.024 mph) after 57 miles and got 3rd place in the 115 mph class.

It was a pretty tough class in 2016. Robbi Smith, who won the class is a local who has been driving the road for 45 years and usually wins the 105 mph class in his lightning pickup, but he "borrowed" his 92 year old dad's C7 and entered the 115. 2nd place was Brian Haskett in an '03 Cobra (I think he's builds GPS missile guidance systems for a day job - probably is a useful skill for this type of racing) and he is always within .1 seconds.

Open road racing has become very competitive and even finishing within .2 seconds from perfect doesn't guarantee a trophy. At Big Bend in 2012 in the 140 mph class, .200 seconds from perfect after 118 miles got you 5th place.

Wow, that's some tight racing.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Z48LT1

Greasemonkey
Oct 10, 2015
Space Coast, Florida
Whoa.

Less than half a second off perfect after driving for a little less than half an hour at 115 MPH. How do you do that? You must know your average speed in real time. What kind of deal do you have with NASA?

SMH - Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor