Meanwhile, in Canada...

I think I see more Rivians than Ford Lightnings in the NW. Usually spot them at charging stations. Never see either doing actual pickup stuff. If anything maybe hauling a couple kayaks or a bike rack, both of which could easily be done with an Outback or Civic. It's just a fashion statement.

Most of the hot shot haulers I see on the freeways are running a Ram like in the thumbnail or an F350 Powerstroke. There's enough hills and mountain passes out west where I could see a diesel-electric setup actually be feasible. For guys who drive for a living, fuel economy is huge. Personally speaking, I've taken a $5000 pay cut for each of the last 3 years because of it. I can only imagine what it costs truckers.

I apologize if they already answered this because I did skim through the video, but did they mention anything about the thermal efficiency difference between direct diesel drive and diesel/electric?

I apologize if they already answered this because I did skim through the video, but did they mention anything about the thermal efficiency difference between direct diesel drive and diesel/electric?
There's a link to the video for their big logging truck in this video, and in the logging truck video, they go into some more detail on those ideas.

Reactions: DRIVEN
Biggest drawback to any of them is the distance/charge ratio. Down east or out west it is not so much of an issue. On the lakes, there are not that many towns and they are not that close. Finding someone that offers the recharge service can be an issue. This came up last night before dinner and it got pointed out that one couple who use an electric vehicle need TWO charging time outs just to get from Thunder Bay to Winnipeg. That highway is two lane and very twisty with lots of changes in elevation. To maintain the 90 klick speed limit you have to sacrifice range, which means you have to plan your intermediate stops very carefully to be to find towns along the way that offer a plug in. The charge duration is also compounded by temperature. Below freezing a battery can actually lose some of it's charge due to cold causing the electrolytes to "gel". On my own personal vehicle I keep the battery on a trickle charger during cold weather to keep the battery acid "active" and percolating ever so slightly. Even at minus-minus temps I get a fast response to the key when I turn it. Battery also lasts longer because any domestic or internal draw on it to keep the CPU memories happy gets offset by the incoming charge.

Nick

I am really curious about the truck conversion for my work truck . We run electric lifts instead of PTO and invertors for corded power on all the trucks to reduce run time as it is .

Reactions: DRIVEN
For the TLDR crowd, they're essentially talking about building a diesel hybrid, Their conversion is electric, but it carries it's own diesel generator charging station on board. This is the missing link between diesel trucks and EVs. They don't need an external charging station or downtime as long as they have diesel for the generator. They're claiming to burn 1/3-1/2 of the fuel of the standard diesel engine, with the biggest savings being hill country where regenerative braking adds even more "free" charging. In fact, they talk about using them to charge dead EVs or using them as welding rigs.

If I were looking at spending $100-300k on a work truck, you'd better believe fuel savings over the half million mile service life would be a consideration.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor