Greasemonkey
Sep 22, 2021
Boston Ma.
Looking for a smart mechanic in the Boston area. Any one have any leads
Thanks.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
See if there is a Delco-Tech shop in your area. These are AC Delco certified shops. It is a good program. I was involved with my 3 shops back in the day. Another idea is a NAPA certified shop

Reactions: 1 user

Dezimade

Greasemonkey
Sep 22, 2021
Boston Ma.
See if there is a Delco-Tech shop in your area. These are AC Delco certified shops. It is a good program. I was involved with my 3 shops back in the day. Another idea is a NAPA certified shop
Thanks Greg!!

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Also, not all shops are created equal.

I've been away from mass so long that I don't know many of the local haunts anymore. I'll asterisk that with a sister up in Framingham west of you, but, she seldom can be bothered with anything that doesn't benefit her. Used to have a mutual friend who worked in a shop though I've lost touch with him.

Anyways, that aside, where I was going with that is some shops work on more old stuff than others, some are better at transmissions, some will do any work but are really good with axles.

If your question is a carb or tuning, there are some great guys out there that aren't a 'shop' but all they do is work on q-jet rebuilds and will rebuild the carb you send them and set it to factory specs for the motor/trans/year you say it came from.

If you need differential work, seek out where the 4x4/jeepster guys go for their offroad stuff.

Exhaust work find a shop that has their own pipe bending machine. If something doesn't work right they can tweak it, and, a good shop doesn't mind cutting out 12" of bad pipe and putting in a patch section for $40 instead of a $400 system replacement.

Radiator woes, summit has a nice all-aluminum no-plastic-tank unit under their brand, but, if you prefer the authenticity truck stop diesel repair shops occasionally still have an in-house re-core service that's going to be cheaper than what anyone else around is likely to charge on a recore.

Transmissions are tricky. And, I usually say hang out at some local car events and see what word of mouth says. Someone who has been around a while and stands behind their work matters. You need someone who knows what you've got to get all the little tips and tricks in a rebuild in there, don't just want a guy used to 4l85es redoing a vintage power glide or dynaflow

As far as anything else goes, if you haven't already you should find a USPS PO box location just over the line into new Hampshire. Have your rockauto, tirerack, eBay, Amazon, etc car purchases shipped to the NH po box and pay no sales tax. If you spend $1000 a year on car related items it pays for itself, and, you get to stop at the tax free NH State liquor store in the process. (Speaking of which, wonder if they still carry 'oh canada' out there, nice tasty maple liquor

Dezimade

Greasemonkey
Sep 22, 2021
Boston Ma.
Also, not all shops are created equal.

I've been away from mass so long that I don't know many of the local haunts anymore. I'll asterisk that with a sister up in Framingham west of you, but, she seldom can be bothered with anything that doesn't benefit her. Used to have a mutual friend who worked in a shop though I've lost touch with him.

Anyways, that aside, where I was going with that is some shops work on more old stuff than others, some are better at transmissions, some will do any work but are really good with axles.

If your question is a carb or tuning, there are some great guys out there that aren't a 'shop' but all they do is work on q-jet rebuilds and will rebuild the carb you send them and set it to factory specs for the motor/trans/year you say it came from.

If you need differential work, seek out where the 4x4/jeepster guys go for their offroad stuff.

Exhaust work find a shop that has their own pipe bending machine. If something doesn't work right they can tweak it, and, a good shop doesn't mind cutting out 12" of bad pipe and putting in a patch section for $40 instead of a $400 system replacement.

Radiator woes, summit has a nice all-aluminum no-plastic-tank unit under their brand, but, if you prefer the authenticity truck stop diesel repair shops occasionally still have an in-house re-core service that's going to be cheaper than what anyone else around is likely to charge on a recore.

Transmissions are tricky. And, I usually say hang out at some local car events and see what word of mouth says. Someone who has been around a while and stands behind their work matters. You need someone who knows what you've got to get all the little tips and tricks in a rebuild in there, don't just want a guy used to 4l85es redoing a vintage power glide or dynaflow

As far as anything else goes, if you haven't already you should find a USPS PO box location just over the line into new Hampshire. Have your rockauto, tirerack, eBay, Amazon, etc car purchases shipped to the NH po box and pay no sales tax. If you spend $1000 a year on car related items it pays for itself, and, you get to stop at the tax free NH State liquor store in the process. (Speaking of which, wonder if they still carry 'oh canada' out there, nice tasty maple liquor
Thanks CK. What great information.
I am a Malibu fan. So I picked up a 79” at 60 yrs of age. My third. Sweet powder blue interior mint practically. Whilst trapped a bit in Beantown I’m having fun with the build. Tossing belts this summer. Not fun. AC Rehap on the list.
I have a client that has a nephew that works as a Diesel mechanic . On Mack trucks! Kinda runs the show there .
This lad has a passion for everything auto. So it’s cool seeing his enthusiasm.
Cold case oem
3” magflow exhaust front to back
Steering box
All front assembly
Rear lower
Rear upper

And I need all the rest. Yep. Suspension
Breaks

It’s a bit of a journey I call her Darlene
Now the gas ⛽️ to N H ? I wonder 💭 if I would save? Great 👍🏻 idea though!

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Thanks CK. What great information.
I am a Malibu fan. So I picked up a 79” at 60 yrs of age. My third. Sweet powder blue interior mint practically. Whilst trapped a bit in Beantown I’m having fun with the build. Tossing belts this summer. Not fun. AC Rehap on the list.
I have a client that has a nephew that works as a Diesel mechanic . On Mack trucks! Kinda runs the show there .
This lad has a passion for everything auto. So it’s cool seeing his enthusiasm.
Cold case oem
3” magflow exhaust front to back
Steering box
All front assembly
Rear lower
Rear upper

And I need all the rest. Yep. Suspension
Breaks

It’s a bit of a journey I call her Darlene
Now the gas ⛽️ to N H ? I wonder 💭 if I would save? Great 👍🏻 idea though!
Always loved those light blue interiors, the sun fade in the plastics to a whitish-tan always seemed more noticeable though as the pitfall.

As regards gas money to NH, it's only about 20-30 miles up 495 if memory serves. When we were in Montpelier VT used to shoot down that way into Boston to catch Sox games.

So, depending what you order.... could add up pretty quick, even with these gas prices it's only about $6-8 each way. Worth it for a trim piece? Maybe not. But to save tax and fees on $800 in tires, ot $1200 in a big bore aftermarket brake setup, absolutely

Dezimade

Greasemonkey
Sep 22, 2021
Boston Ma.
Always loved those light blue interiors, the sun fade in the plastics to a whitish-tan always seemed more noticeable though as the pitfall.

As regards gas money to NH, it's only about 20-30 miles up 495 if memory serves. When we were in Montpelier VT used to shoot down that way into Boston to catch Sox games.

So, depending what you order.... could add up pretty quick, even with these gas prices it's only about $6-8 each way. Worth it for a trim piece? Maybe not. But to save tax and fees on $800 in tires, ot $1200 in a big bore aftermarket brake setup, absolutely

Dezimade

Greasemonkey
Sep 22, 2021
Boston Ma.
Thanks I will get a beer up there too!!
It’s a half a tank 8 cylinders I know I was there three days ago 70 bucks to fill that tank. What state are you in

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Thanks I will get a beer up there too!!
It’s a half a tank 8 cylinders I know I was there three days ago 70 bucks to fill that tank. What state are you in
These days mostly georgia. Still have a couple thousand SF of warehouse space in West Springfield though, and, usually up there for at least a month a year.

Starting to look for some land eventually in the southwest of the state, almost pulled the trigger on 290 acres about 30 minutes west of Springfield, but, diligence fell through. Plan is to get a place up that way and alternate between locations throughout the year, but, I'm being pretty particular about the site because I'll never move again and dump the land in a trust. Good dry land, not super steep, with Sugarbush is harder to find than it used to be for large tracts.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor