Mecum H/O

Status
Not open for further replies.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
It could have been rough in person also.

Saw one of those auctions try selling a rough 2+2 for 13k reserve a few weeks ago. It was a $7500 max, if that.

I take auction prices with a big grain of salt.

Reactions: 1 user

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
I'm the original owner of an 87 SS. It has more $$$$ into the restomods than what I paid for it. It worth a lot to me, but not to anyone else. Yet, I love my car, it's not for sale at any price, it's not an investment, it's been a labor of love to off frame it. Any imperfection is my doing. I didn't pay anyone mega bucks to mess it up. And... I know where every nut and bolt goes and every mod I have done that is not factory. People at shows say, I remember that car back then, nice job! Ask the buyers at these high $$$ auctions and most don't know what they have bought beyond it's a 70 LS6 with a matching numbers 350!

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I can only partially agree. However, the 5.0 Mustang LX, Formula 350, '91/'92 Firehawk, Turbo Buicks, GNX, TTA, SY/TY, and 4th Gen V8 F-bodies would all like to see the infamous muscle cars out behind the woodshed for their stock-to-stock @ss whooping.

steve austin wrestling GIF by WWE
Let's go through that list, shall we. Since I am an Olds guy, SB 350 especially, compare it to a 70 W31. I believe a 14.37 1/4 was attained stock. High compression and lumpy cam with gearing to get there. A performance car but still had log manifolds. With bolts on, slicks and tricks got them in the 12's. Let's go through your list, start to finish. Ugly box hatch back, don't care how fast it is. I felt that way in high school, hasn't changed, not nice looking cars. The Formula, yeah a nice car with a very limited induction system and weak rear end. Firehawk, not enough to count. Yes to the Turbo Buicks. I would love a TTA, even with the 7.5" rear. Typhoon and Syclone, not a truck guy and good lord there are too many trucks, SUV, CUV on the road as is. The 4th gen, really like the WS6, fast and look decent, hampered by GM throwing in a 7.5" rear, one they decided could not take over 250 ft/lbs, let's put it behind 350 ft/lbs with a stick. Nah, all good.

Attachments

• tumblr_ece3c4a53e4414f45e7ed3c2701a7904_f59aa6be_500.gif
    tumblr_ece3c4a53e4414f45e7ed3c2701a7904_f59aa6be_500.gif
    6 MB · Views: 94

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Let's go through that list, shall we. Since I am an Olds guy, SB 350 especially, compare it to a 70 W31. I believe a 14.37 1/4 was attained stock. High compression and lumpy cam with gearing to get there. A performance car but still had log manifolds. With bolts on, slicks and tricks got them in the 12's. Let's go through your list, start to finish. Ugly box hatch back, don't care how fast it is. I felt that way in high school, hasn't changed, not nice looking cars. The Formula, yeah a nice car with a very limited induction system and weak rear end. Firehawk, not enough to count. Yes to the Turbo Buicks. I would love a TTA, even with the 7.5" rear. Typhoon and Syclone, not a truck guy and good lord there are too many trucks, SUV, CUV on the road as is. The 4th gen, really like the WS6, fast and look decent, hampered by GM throwing in a 7.5" rear, one they decided could not take over 250 ft/lbs, let's put it behind 350 ft/lbs with a stick. Nah, all good.

TTA's had a Borg Warner of Australia 7.75" 9 Bolt Rear Axle. They are fine into the 11's for strength but have a BW of America (which was purchased by Auburn) style conical clutch limited slip, so the posi burns up long before th rear will break.

• Informative
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
TTA's had a Borg Warner of Australia 7.75" 9 Bolt Rear Axle. They are fine into the 11's for strength but have a BW of America (which was purchased by Auburn) style conical clutch limited slip, so the posi burns up long before th rear will break.
I was hoping that was the case. There is argument on how much stronger they are than the 7 5/8" rear but at least they took the strongest available rear.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
I can only partially agree. However, the 5.0 Mustang LX, Formula 350, '91/'92 Firehawk, Turbo Buicks, GNX, TTA, SY/TY, and 4th Gen V8 F-bodies would all like to see the infamous muscle cars out behind the woodshed for their stock-to-stock @ss whooping.

steve austin wrestling GIF by WWE

Stockish 383 mopars were evenly matched stockish 5.0L mustangs in the early 90's. B-body Mopars were still cheap so people still took them to the track. There was really no such thing as a stock muscle car era Chevy at a dragstrip at the time (The stock/stock restored cars were worth too much to weekly street race). Everyone with a stockish car got their *ss handed to them by stockish Turbo buicks until heads/Cam Ls's and 03 'Cobras after the 90's were over.

• Agree

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
I was hoping that was the case. There is argument on how much stronger they are than the 7 5/8" rear but at least they took the strongest available rear.

The way Turbo's leave on the foot brake greatly extends the life of the rear for a similar ET. The 8.5" in a Turbo Buick only breaks when the car is pulling the front wheels, then add forged axles and its good to the 9's. A manual trans would break the same rear end 2 seconds slower.

Reactions: 2 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I said stock. Not stockish. Not "Day 2" mods. Not "super tuned" or "factory ringer" press cars. Stock.

It is well known that the truth is very murky with respect to actual muscle car numbers (not very well documented (no internet - LOL), questionable journalistic practices, and lots of lore).

But, feel free to go tit-for-tat down this list, or provide your own. But, these are isolated results and not proven repeatable with a larger body of evidence.

The actual difference between muscle cars and the post-malaise era is not as great as people want to believe. Your cognitive dissonance is showing, gents.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor