CUTLASS Mediocre Build Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr evil

Aug 4, 2009
Sooke, BC, Canada
Looking good, thanks for the update! How to you feel about the Summit uppers?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
You got the ol girl looking right

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017
Looking good, thanks for the update! How to you feel about the Summit uppers?
No complaints or clearance issues with my wheel/ tire/ball joint setup My factory upper A-arm bushings were shot and they seemed like a reasonable upgrade when I did the brakes. They have polyurethane bushings and no grease fitting, so I guess they could develop a squeak sometime, but so far okay. Not sure about now, but when I got mine, Ridetech was doing the manufacturing for Summit, so no concerns about the quality.

SRD art

G-Body Guru
Jun 16, 2011
St. George, UT
Love the early Cutlass'! 100% improvement in the look of the car, looks great at this point. I like what you did with the wheel emblems, bravo!

You mentioned the springs, were you saying you cut 1 1/2 coils off them? I bought some 5660s for my "Grandpa" Cutlass and I can't remember how much to trim them. Any chance I can get you to measure ground clearance at the frame rail behind the front tire too? I'm shooting for around 6" there, will be doing just cut springs and a 1/2" tall lower ball joint. Wondering where yours is to compare.

Reactions: 1 user

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017
Love the early Cutlass'! 100% improvement in the look of the car, looks great at this point. I like what you did with the wheel emblems, bravo!

You mentioned the springs, were you saying you cut 1 1/2 coils off them? I bought some 5660s for my "Grandpa" Cutlass and I can't remember how much to trim them. Any chance I can get you to measure ground clearance at the frame rail behind the front tire too? I'm shooting for around 6" there, will be doing just cut springs and a 1/2" tall lower ball joint. Wondering where yours is to compare.
Oops- typo, now corrected. Should be -1/2 coil. -One and a half, plus +1/2" taller ball joint would be pretty low. Thanks Ben! I can measure those frame rail heights and post later. Sorry if anybody rushed out and whacked 1 1/2 coils off😬! No guarantees expressed or implied in this thread.

• Haha

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017
Frame rail height behind front wheel= 6 1/4", forward of rear wheel= 7". About 13" from center of hub to front wheel well lip.

Reactions: 1 users

SRD art

G-Body Guru
Jun 16, 2011
St. George, UT
Frame rail height behind front wheel= 6 1/4", forward of rear wheel= 7". About 13" from center of hub to front wheel well lip.
That's just about right where I want it. I was thinking I did 1/2 coil on my last pair but I couldn't remember and your post got me second guessing. Lol, I loved your disclaimer. :LOL:

Thanks a bunch for the info. Keep up the good work!

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017
Reactions: 7 users

SRD art

G-Body Guru
Jun 16, 2011
St. George, UT
You're outta control now! lol Looks like it'll be a good little cruiser. I did a smallish .440 lift cam and Performer intake combo in Pumkinator before I yanked the 305 out. I enjoyed it, it made enough power to have a little fun and ran real nice around town and on the freeway. With 2.41 gears and at 5000 ft altitude it ran mid 16s in the 1/4. Getting off the line was a little slow but from a roll it ran pretty decent. I think some more tuning on the carb would've helped a bit too but I mostly slapped it together and drove it. Looking forward to what the results are for yours. (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor