CUTLASS Mediocre Build Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017
FYI for guys installing Edelbrock Performer 2101 on SBC- 1) I had to tap screw holes about 1/4" deeper to accept the factory screws for the hot air choke tube, distributor hold down, and carb. 2) The throttle cable bracket that mounts to the rear two driver's side intake bolts hit a rib on the intake, which I whacked off with a cutoff wheel. 3) My alternator bracket screw hole to the intake had to be elongated for the screw to fit. 4) Due to the raised carb pad, the fuel line and hot air choke intake tube had to be reshaped.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 2 users

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017
Still need to check timing(my timing light is funking out), and fine tune idle mixture and speed, but here’s current situation. No leaks, knocks, or fires, so I’m driving it to work in the morning. Took a quick video, but I'm too dumb or tired to figure out how to upload it, so maybe tomorrow.

Reactions: 1 users

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017
It's late, I've had a couple of adult beverages, so hopefully this makes sense. My car is on jack stands currently, waiting for me to remove/diagnose/repair the brake combination/proportioning valve. The "brake" light is on in the dash, brakes are funky(no leaks), I have replaced the M/C, still funky, and no fluid from the rear bleeders, so Combi valve is the next step from my logic.
That's not the reason for this post. While I had the wheels off for the first brake bleeding, I swapped the 17x9" rims to the front to check the TIRE fit. Backed out of the garage, pulled around the corner and parked my car in the drive. (We live on a corner and have an L shaped concrete driveway) As I walked around the car I found a wheel weight on the drive. This warranted further investigation. With the car back up on stands(placed in line with the springs on the front lower A-arms, so maybe 1/2 compression??), I turned the front wheels lock to lock and rotated them. Turns out with my particular combination (Summit UCA's, +1/2" Proforged upper and lower BJ's, Moog 5660- 1/2 coil springs, and Blazer spindles), the 17x9", zero offset/5" BS rims are REALLY close to the upper arm ball joint mount. Close enough on the passenger side to clip off the wheel weight, and on the drivers side the rim can hit the mount.
Without the +1/2" BJ's, or the 5" BS on the wheels I think it would be fine. My point is- check all potential contact/interference points before you head out on the road, every combination, body style, suspension, and car is different. I know- the photo sucks.
InkedIMG_1372.jpg

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: 4 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Not sure how this thread slipped past me. Car looks great! It was born with the same drivetrain combo mine was. I saw you mention eventually plans for a regear and overdrive. When I went 200-4r/3.42 it felt like a 100hp bolt-on. Cruise RPM stayed the same so MPG didn't suffer.

Do you remember what year Toro the wheel came from? Looks perfect in there.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I agree that I've missed this as well - subscribed now.

Wheel weights are like Trix (for kids lol.) Perhaps that's the adult beverage or two in me as well.

Put on some stick on's and forget the pound on's. An 1/8" of clearance is more than enough, and it looks great from my bar stool ;)

edit - forgot to mention - this is better than a mediocre build. I love those seats!

Reactions: 1 user

Wraith

Royal Smart Person
Jan 13, 2013
DFW, TX
Jumping in with the "missed this thread" too, great job here, love the Cutlass/Monte 78-79 years. Looks like you are running into the same problems to be had with lowering spindles and clearance issues that is "easier" with 17" wheels but still a pain.

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017
Not sure how this thread slipped past me. Car looks great! It was born with the same drivetrain combo mine was. I saw you mention eventually plans for a regear and overdrive. When I went 200-4r/3.42 it felt like a 100hp bolt-on. Cruise RPM stayed the same so MPG didn't suffer.

Do you remember what year Toro the wheel came from? Looks perfect in there.
The Toro was 1984 I think. I've seen them online in Cutlasses, but have not yet seen one in person. I have a set of 3.42's and 28 spline Moser axles waiting for me to buy a differential to match. Probably need to have a 200-4r ready to go first.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017
I agree that I've missed this as well - subscribed now.

Wheel weights are like Trix (for kids lol.) Perhaps that's the adult beverage or two in me as well.

Put on some stick on's and forget the pound on's. An 1/8" of clearance is more than enough, and it looks great from my bar stool ;)

edit - forgot to mention - this is better than a mediocre build. I love those seats!
Thanks. As I mentioned the seats are a little snug for my booty, but they were pretty comfy for about 1500 miles total on Hot Rod Power Tour this past August- no complaints.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor