CUTLASS Mediocre Build Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017
I mentioned these spacers in another thread about factory rear swaybar spacers, and just added the third pair today in the front holes.
My solution- 1" round aluminum, 1-1/4" long, 7/16" hole. I'm using a Blazer rear bar currently so M10 x 60 mm bolts (70-80mm? with factory bar), nuts, washers. 3/8" bolts would work too. There are actually six holes in factory control arms, so you could make six pieces and stiffen the arms a little at the front hole location also. Also notice the zip ties to keep the E-brake cable from rubbing the inside of my 17x9 rims. Fancy-eh?
IMG_0487.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017
I mentioned in the "What did you do to your G body today" thread about turning over 90k miles and developing a miss on the same day. Life has slowed down my troubleshooting, but after swapping the distributor, plugs, confirming plug wires, and so forth, I have come to the conclusion that my camshaft is toast. I had the Lunati waiting, so it begins:
IMG_0921.jpg
IMG_0920.jpg

Only 24 days or so until Hot Rod Power Tour- no worries, right?

Reactions: 4 users

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017
#8 cylinder was dead, and the exhaust valve pushrod was a little loose in the tear down picture last post, so I assumed the cam had a bad lobe. Pulled V/C's, valvetrain, and cam, and much to my surprise- the cam looked OK?? It had two lifters that weren't rotating, and one with some spalling/pitting, but #8 looked good. A little coarse language and further investigation revealed #8 exhaust valve spring is broken. Ordered new springs and retainers. Hopefully they're here by the time I get everything cleaned up and ready to assemble.
IMG_0923.jpg
IMG_0926.jpg
IMG_0929.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Crazy, usually it is a flat cam, especially from those years of the sbc 305. New springs to match the cam along with new valve seals is a good idea anyway. Nice car by the way👍

Reactions: 1 users

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017
Crazy, usually it is a flat cam, especially from those years of the sbc 305. New springs to match the cam along with new valve seals is a good idea anyway. Nice car by the way👍
Yeah, the broken spring from this era is a new one for me. It's not like the LG4 cam would rev high enough to hurt anything. I wouldn't be surprised if a 3hp Briggs&Stratton had more lift and duration.

Reactions: 2 users

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
First time looking in, car looks great! Beginning to really like the early Cutlass styling.

Reactions: 1 user

carnutjw

G-Body Guru
Sep 17, 2017
Getting real close to firing it up, need to get #1 to TDC, install distributor and plugs.
D61AA26D-8D04-4FC4-92FC-60A15250E978.jpeg

Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor