Memorial Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
No Memorial Day posts? OK I'll be the first..................................................................................................................
1622507425908.png
1622507835361.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
1622507929589.png
1622508010407.png

Reactions: 9 users

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
1622508467622.png
1622508850732.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Based on a conversation I had last night I was wondering how long it would take for someone (and who it would be) to start a post here. So I refrained thus far.

I've found that in many areas I've lived lately (read past 15 years) the importance of memorial day has gone downhill. Most people see it as a federal holiday off, but not much more than that.

Today on history channel you had a couple hours this morning on world wars. That's it. Rest of today was tulsa riots, food history shows, industry shows. BS kick in the nuts to what happened and why today exists. But it does mirror so much of culture.

There's estimated 300k or so WWII vets still alive in the USA. And far fewer every year. And they're marginalized.

Even worse? Korea? Vietnam? Iraq/Middle East? Afghanistan? Also, I'm not trying to ignore things like Cuba or Grenada, Kosovo or Somalia, etc but to list every engagement would take forever, not to diminish any.

But let's face it, too many have political qualms about where servicemembers went, or who sent them, and thus discount what those endured on behalf of all.

I still always throw $5 or $10 in the jar when VFW are out front with their poppies. But you don't even see them like you used to. Maybe because of how they're treated, or not, when they're out there.

It's disappointing to me, all of it. So in our household we just thank vets for their service as we see them. You don't know how long any of us have so appreciate them both while here and gone. I don't go shopping stores sales on the actual day, if anything you use it to get together at home, have a BBQ, etc. That's how it was when I was a kid. Just too bad the parades and such aren't what they once were either. Local govt seems not to care how they used to.

When I was a kid, the end of the week before memorial day the classes in the schools would walk to the local cemetery and you would all get bundles of small flags to walk through and leave a flag at every headstone which had a small iron holder signifying what war they fought in. There were markers for stones going back into the 1800s, and all the way through Vietnam.

AFAIK they don't do it there anymore. Havent seen it happen elsewhere either. I'm sure it came down to various politicization and objections from some.... sigh.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 2 users

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
1622508993420.png
I think President Biden gave the best Memorial Day speech I have ever heard. Probably because he lost his military Son. This day is very, very real for him. And why am I the only house on my street with an American flag flying today?!!? Oh crap- sun went down- retreat.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Based on a conversation I had last night I was wondering how long it would take for someone (and who it would be) to start a post here. So I refrained thus far.

I've found that in many areas I've lived lately (read past 15 years) the importance of memorial day has gone downhill. Most people see it as a federal holiday off, but not much more than that.

Today on history channel you had a couple hours this morning on world wars. That's it. Rest of today was tulsa riots, food history shows, industry shows. BS kick in the nuts to what happened and why today exists. But it does mirror so much of culture.

There's estimated 300k or so WWII vets still alive in the USA. And far fewer every year. And they're marginalized.

Even worse? Korea? Vietnam? Iraq/Middle East? Afghanistan? Also, I'm not trying to ignore things like Cuba or Grenada, Kosovo or Somalia, etc but to list every engagement would take forever, not to diminish any.

But let's face it, too many have political qualms about where servicemembers went, or who sent them, and thus discount what those endured on behalf of all.

I still always throw $5 or $10 in the jar when VFW are out front with their poppies. But you don't even see them like you used to. Maybe because of how they're treated, or not, when they're out there.

It's disappointing to me, all of it. So in our household we just thank vets for their service as we see them. You don't know how long any of us have so appreciate them both while here and gone. I don't go shopping stores sales on the actual day, if anything you use it to get together at home, have a BBQ, etc. That's how it was when I was a kid. Just too bad the parades and such aren't what they once were either. Local govt seems not to care how they used to.

When I was a kid, the end of the week before memorial day the classes in the schools would walk to the local cemetery and you would all get bundles of small flags to walk through and leave a flag at every headstone which had a small iron holder signifying what war they fought in. There were markers for stones going back into the 1800s, and all the way through Vietnam.

AFAIK they don't do it there anymore. Havent seen it happen elsewhere either. I'm sure it came down to various politicization and objections from some.... sigh.
I hate to say it but Memorial Day isn't as stylish anymore. It doesn't fit into todays culture. Then they don't really teach the younger generation much on American conflicts like it was years back. Maybe it's a subject that's to harsh on todays sensitve youth. I had teachers who were vets from WWII to Granada who was willing to tell their stories of good & bad to including the loss of freinds. Then being an Army brat made my world different than those I grew up with when we returned to Pittsburgh. But I did grow up knowing the meaning of Memorial Day & participated in many Memorial Day events as a JROTC & ROTC cadet & with my assigned unit. But what I see around to include the town I live in there wasn't really anything going on today, like it was just another day. Maybe if we collectively as Americans pull out heads out of our four points of contact to really look at what this weekend was about then it would make these other things a bit more clearer to understand. But I do keep the memories of those I know who served & are no longer around.
Also F off Google for a generic unpatriotic gray google logo for today. This proves my point.

Reactions: 3 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I hate to say it but Memorial Day isn't as stylish anymore. It doesn't fit into todays culture. Then they don't really teach the younger generation much on American conflicts like it was years back. Maybe it's a subject that's to harsh on todays sensitve youth. I had teachers who were vets from WWII to Granada who was willing to tell their stories of good & bad to including the loss of freinds. Then being an Army brat made my world different than those I grew up with when we returned to Pittsburgh. But I did grow up knowing the meaning of Memorial Day & participated in many Memorial Day events as a JROTC & ROTC cadet & with my assigned unit. But what I see around to include the town I live in there wasn't really anything going on today, like it was just another day. Maybe if we collectively as Americans pull out heads out of our four points of contact to really look at what this weekend was about then it would make these other things a bit more clearer to understand. But I do keep the memories of those I know who served & are no longer around.
Also F off Google for a generic unpatriotic gray google logo for today. This proves my point.
When there's more interest, effort, and energy behind/about the social justice BS than remembering those who gave all they had in service of their country and preserving these rights now taken for granted...

Sigh.

• Agree

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
A few famous quotes to consider on Memorial Day:

"Those who have long enjoyed such privileges as we enjoy forget in time that men have died to win them." - Franklin Roosevelt

"As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words but to live by them." - John Kennedy

“And if words cannot repay the debt we owe these men, surely with our actions we must strive to keep faith with them and with the vision that led them to battle and to final sacrifice."- Ronald Reagan

"Our nation owes a debt to its fallen heroes that we can never fully repay."- Barack Obama

And who could ever forget:
"Enjoy the long weekend." - Kamala Harris :rolleyes:

• Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor