Messing With Spark Plug Gap

Status
Not open for further replies.

RustRocket

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2014
Las Vegas, Nevada
Hello all, I have a sort of strange question. How much can gap adjustment of the spark plugs effect the overall running of the car? I ask because I found it strange that the gap for my 231 is supposed to be set at .80. That seems like a little much for a low compression V6 engine. Currently my car is running in limp mode, or full rich. I'm wondering if my car would run better with a smaller or larger gap. I'm just trying to get this thing running as good as possible, and I was thinking perhaps re-gapping them may make a difference. I'm using some Autolite 666's, I just replaced them last month, and the car hasn't been driven, its only been run for about 10 minutes since I put them in.

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
Don't know much about your build, but ngk has a rule of thumb for gapping plugs in performance motors. Don't quote me but I think you close up the gap .010 for every 100hp you're making over stock

RustRocket

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2014
Las Vegas, Nevada
Don't know much about your build, but ngk has a rule of thumb for gapping plugs in performance motors. Don't quote me but I think you close up the gap .010 for every 100hp you're making over stock
Thanks but my car's not "built", it probably doesn't even make 100 hp

RustRocket

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2014
Las Vegas, Nevada
Lol fair enough. If it means anything when I look up the plug for that car it calls for a .060 gap...

EDIT: NGK calls for .060, autolite calls for .080
Interesting. Thanks for the info, it's good to get some more knowledge

truracer20

Master Mechanic
Feb 16, 2014
western PA
Without the computer go with the R45TS gapped at .040" That is the plug called for in 1980 for non CCC 231 V6 VIN A Cutlasses. Of course you can use an equivalent plug of another brand but don't use the TSX or the .080" gap.

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
In all honesty i think a 231 was actually the last time i ever messed with spark plug gap. .80 doesn't seem ridiculous but does seem excessive. I think i started off at like .20 and tweaked it a dozen times till i hit .60 and at that point i think it started idling rough on me. It didn't misfire just rough. i don't remember my final tweak though to many years ago. i wanna say around .35 to .40

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor