Metric fastener color

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Xylan 1424 color chart. Might help finding the correct paint.

Attachments

• Xylan 1424 Color Chart.pdf
    421.5 KB · Views: 94

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
So, while waiting for the Feature at North Wilkesboro to start, I elected to make a fast pass on the bolt bin and see what came up

DSCN3675.JPG

DSCN3676.JPG

DSCN3677.JPG

DSCN3678.JPG

So I chose to shoot the underfaces of these bolts first to give you a better idea of what the original color would have been. In pics one and two the color is basically the same but the bolt on the right has had more exposure to crud contamination so it reads as darker. The middle bolt actually reads as blue/green which is not surprising as it may have been a component from my Non G/Body G-Body.

Pics three and four show the heads of the bolts. The one on the left is about as close to cherry as I have been able to locate up to this point. It is not a repaint as the washer color and the head color match.

I do have one more bolt to upload, as soon as its paint dries. This particular specimen has just received a spritz of GM Corporate Engine Blue. This is not an off the shelf, bought it from the local big box auto store color. it was specifically mixed for me to match the blue that GM engines wore back the early 80's and was mixed as a match to the block color in my Non G/Body. It is also the color of the engine in my 85 S/S which is not politically correct for the year of the car but my personal preference. Plus which it betrays leaks and issues more readily than the black did/does,

The shot will be dry by tomorrow and get uploaded sometime after that.

Nick

Doglips

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 7, 2022
So, while waiting for the Feature at North Wilkesboro to start, I elected to make a fast pass on the bolt bin and see what came up

View attachment 221163

View attachment 221164

View attachment 221165

View attachment 221166

So I chose to shoot the underfaces of these bolts first to give you a better idea of what the original color would have been. In pics one and two the color is basically the same but the bolt on the right has had more exposure to crud contamination so it reads as darker. The middle bolt actually reads as blue/green which is not surprising as it may have been a component from my Non G/Body G-Body.

Pics three and four show the heads of the bolts. The one on the left is about as close to cherry as I have been able to locate up to this point. It is not a repaint as the washer color and the head color match.

I do have one more bolt to upload, as soon as its paint dries. This particular specimen has just received a spritz of GM Corporate Engine Blue. This is not an off the shelf, bought it from the local big box auto store color. it was specifically mixed for me to match the blue that GM engines wore back the early 80's and was mixed as a match to the block color in my Non G/Body. It is also the color of the engine in my 85 S/S which is not politically correct for the year of the car but my personal preference. Plus which it betrays leaks and issues more readily than the black did/does,

The shot will be dry by tomorrow and get uploaded sometime after that.

Nick
You da king, great idea looking at bolt bins!!! The bolt on the far right is similar to what I see routinely on my 78 El Camino, these 2 came from my hood latch and are the best example I have found while working on it. I look forward to the painted version you have from the custom mix. Thanks much for the effort!
bolt_color.jpg

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
One thing needing to be mentioned is that my camera shots were taken using a flash so the color plays brighter than it would in daylight or under a work light. The flash has the effect of making the color seem harsher and details and background context clearer.

Nick

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
DSCN3679.JPG

DSCN3680.JPG

DSCN3681.JPG

So what you are seeing here is a 10mm metric bolt with captured washer, shot using an Auto Paint Supply Lab mixed formula I call GM Corporate Blue. The mix was generated using a chip that was analysed for its ingredients and assembled accordingly. These shots were all taken under bright light with no flash so the color is fairly close to daylight actual.

DSCN3682.JPG

DSCN3683.JPG

DSCN3684.JPG

And this second series is the same bolt, only shot in ambient light with the flash active. As you can see, the difference in color is minor to negligable. The last shot blurred out a bit due to being as close as i could get without having to walk the focus to get it back to clear and crisp.

Held in hand, the color is actually somewhat darker and duller,but not so much as to cause any major concern. If I were to use this color myself, which I have, I would shot the complete group of bolts at the same time using the same number of passes made from the same distance. Doing it this way would offer the greatest chance for uniformity of color for the lot.

If you do a Mark One mod Zero eyeball comparison check of the first picture in the initial set of pictures that I posted of the three bolts, the one being a close up of the bolt as seen from beneath and compare to shots 3, and 4, of this subsequent series, it would appear that the colors come fairly close to being a match to each other. Remember that age, abuse, and UV impact can alter a color, either bleaching it out or "killing" or dulling it down to something darker.

Nick

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor