EL CAMINO Mexican market El Camino equipped with 350

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCP

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2018
Bavaria, Germany
Wikipedia says, there was a 260hp 350 available in late 5th generation El Camino for the Mexican market with less strict emission control.
To get my '85 accepted as vintage vehicle it needs to have an engine that was available in the car from factory when it was new.
My El Camino was born with a 305 and I'll get a 350 4-bolt with it. Is there any information, i.e. brochures etc. about those Mexican 350's available online? If I could show the DMV that the 350 was available, it would make my life much easier.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
What state are you in? Are you really in Germany? Not sure what the rules are over there. I know in California, anything newer than 1975 is a colossal pain in the @$$ to get legal.

KCP

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2018
Bavaria, Germany
I'm in Bavaria. Germany claims it's part of it, Bavarians tend to disagree though. Getting the car road legal here is easy, register it as vintage is a bit harder. For vintage registration it has to be in good, stock condition. Modifications have to be period correct.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
If it's not subject to teardown, it's all about visual appearance. I highly doubt they're going to start running casting numbers, measuring ports, compression, etc. A 500hp 383 with an 800CFM Q-jet doesn't look any different from a 140hp 305 with a Q-jet if done correctly. ;)

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

Michael Watts

Master Mechanic
Dec 12, 2017
You just make it look like a stock 305 if your state has a visual inspection . Washington State had a tailpipe test only at the time mine 1981 El Camino SS went through emissions .And I has a 290 HP 350 crate engine with FlowTech "Shorty" headers and true dual exhaust, Elelbrock Performer and carb at the time. and it passed emissions with no issues.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
I get the feeling there are a lot of "but in Mexico..." G-Body myths floating around out there. I still have my doubts about the legendary Mexican Monte, and now an El Camino version?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

KCP

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2018
Bavaria, Germany
Keepin the 350 tucked under the radar is plan B. This Mexican 350 is what Wikipedia says, I never heard about before either.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
I doubt the 350 has 260 hp stock in 85, more like 190 hp. The Mexican MCSS also had 350s and those barely made more power than the HO 305s.

CaliWagon83

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2017
Orange County, CA
There are a gazillion parts out there for small-block Chevys. As noted, also easy to make them look visually stock, or close to it. Don’t know how easy they are to get in Germany, but I know a lot of the U.S. mail-order houses ship overseas.

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
If it's not subject to teardown, it's all about visual appearance. I highly doubt they're going to start running casting numbers, measuring ports, compression, etc. A 500hp 383 with an 800CFM Q-jet doesn't look any different from a 140hp 305 with a Q-jet if done correctly. ;)

Especially in Germany, I know Germans are renowned for having incredible attention to detail and what not, but how many small block G bodies can there possibly be in Germany? I wouldn't think very many. I wouldn't be surprised if their inspection people have never even seen one in person to be able to tell if it's a stock 305 or a modifed 350 replacement.

If the OP is really interested in doing a 350, he said "period correct" easy enough, just make sure the engine block is from the 80's. Should be easy and cheap to find a truck 350 block from any Chevy or GMC K/C or V/R series pick up truck, Blazer/Jimmy, or possibly Caprices and Impalas. That way even if they did run the casting numbers on the block you can legitimately claim it as a "period correct" modification and I assume they would let it through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor