Mice entry points

Status
Not open for further replies.

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
BUMP :bump: ...It's that time of the year again, fall/ winter, and this thread has some excellent suggestions that may be useful to those with mice and rodent problems, worth reading again for those who may have forgotten some of the great advice in here from some G body family members advising how to keep our beloved G's from being destroyed by those stinking mice.

Reactions: 2 users

stew86MCSS396

Greasemonkey
Aug 1, 2022
(808)
Exactly, move the traps around, turning them slightly. Position the traps along the wall, not out in the middle of the open floor. They normally run along the walls or "something" as it provides a bit of cover and ability for them to retrace their steps and for others to follow their trail of waste. They are creatures of habit, so making the slightest change in the configuration of traps, glue, snap, whatever, might be successful.
Can't speak for mice but during my short tenure of pest control, rats have poor eye sight and they tend to traverse along walls. Agreed that they retrace steps but at the same time they memorize that path, so if you place a trap that obstructs their path, they might actually just go around it or jump over it. You want to place it a few inches away from the wall and hope they pick up the scent of your bait. I like using dried pieces of fish for bait as it gives off a strong odor and the bait is somewhat rigid aiding in trap triggering plus it can keep in the trap for a few weeks without having to change it out.

This just happened recently...I have a screen door on my main entrance to the house with a little gap at the bottom. I didn't know they were coming into the house. At 1 corner of the house I could hear rustling and gnawing sounds. I thought it was my telephone line outside of the house flapping in the wind tapping the side of the house. Keeping this short set 2 snap traps and caught 8 of them little boogers in the span of 3 days. I temporarily placed a rubber seal under the screen door and hope they don't return!!!

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
I was curious as to the most common entry points for mice on these cars. Is it mainly through the engine compartment? I have been battling mice during the winter months for ten years with my Buick and can't find an entry point to save my life (yes I know they can get into small spaces). Every third day, my four snap traps are cleaned off and no mouse. Ultrasonic devices don't seem to work and dryer sheets don't either. I recently installed peppermint oil soaked cotton balls and was waiting for the results. Have any of you had results with peppermint oil? Thanks in advance
Snap traps you need to use peanut butter so they have to work to get the food. There is some stuff you can get Mouse Magic that works good but you have to fallow instructions. But it is a lot of vacuuming come spring. TomCat mouse food works good. Comes in brick form and is way better than Decon. They have to eat it and not store it in places.
But heater-A/C rain flap and check body plugs

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
The HVAC drain rubber flap on the airbox lower ledge is a good entry place.

Attachments

• HVAC Lines.jpg
    HVAC Lines.jpg
    631 KB · Views: 68

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Apart from being already in the building, there are a few ways they can get into the building. If your garage has a poured concrete pad and wooden walls, they have no problem with chewing through the bottom plates and gaining entrance. if you leave your doors open or the bottom sweep doesn't solidly touch the floor then they can ooze underneath it. They can also chew their way through the caulking around a window. Both of these concerns were behind my decision to use a 2 foot high, concrete block knee wall and do without windows.

The steel wool exercise is good, you can stuff your exhaust pipes with it as well. At one point I had to close up the rafter tails on my shop roof because of a persistent squirrel that desperately wanted to nest up there so it could have its babies. I used plywood plates but backed them with a layer of mesh under which i had stuffed steel wool. No more squirrel; still see them but they don't seem to come into the yard anymore. Same-same for pigeons.

They are not so much an issue around my hood because the warehouse across the lane is on a route for a local pest control service and they regularly check their traps and rebait them.

Nick

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
I noticed that mice seem to be attracted to the color white.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor