Mice entry points

Status
Not open for further replies.

10secBUICKGN

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 21, 2022
Ashland County Ohio
I was curious as to the most common entry points for mice on these cars. Is it mainly through the engine compartment? I have been battling mice during the winter months for ten years with my Buick and can't find an entry point to save my life (yes I know they can get into small spaces). Every third day, my four snap traps are cleaned off and no mouse. Ultrasonic devices don't seem to work and dryer sheets don't either. I recently installed peppermint oil soaked cotton balls and was waiting for the results. Have any of you had results with peppermint oil? Thanks in advance

303'505rollin

G-Body Guru
Sep 4, 2020
Colorado2newmexico
I would like to know I it depends on models also. My dogs food was disappearing pretty fast and I just took it as winter time they eat more, then I needed something out of the trunk and BAM!!! the whole trunk full to the top was full of dog food nothing in the cabin area just the trunk. I threw it all out it was like 8 sacks of food. After that I thew a bunch of mothballs in there, 2 boxes worth and haven't had them come back lol I also have cats now so that helps

Reactions: 1 users

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
I was curious as to the most common entry points for mice on these cars. Is it mainly through the engine compartment? I have been battling mice during the winter months for ten years with my Buick and can't find an entry point to save my life (yes I know they can get into small spaces). Every third day, my four snap traps are cleaned off and no mouse. Ultrasonic devices don't seem to work and dryer sheets don't either. I recently installed peppermint oil soaked cotton balls and was waiting for the results. Have any of you had results with peppermint oil? Thanks in advance
I would LOVE to assist you in this, "pesky issue" PUN intended. The engine bay is the most common area for entry points, HOWEVER it's not the only area they like to try.

Let's start with the engine bay first, fire wall to be precise. Make sure all your grommets are in place and tightly fitted, such as your throttle cable ect ect. If one is popped out and it won't stay in, put some black silicon around the gap.

The other area they love to invade is the heater hose entry point. The factory foams around the inlet and outlet are easily gnawed at IF it's still there at all. I always buy a pack of steel wool and take a few minutes and pack it in and around the heater hose area on the firewall, where the hose actually attaches to the heater core, that gap.

A few other places you may want to check, are any areas you may have run something, wires, cables linkage ect ect, that required you to drill holes anywhere in the car, PLUG THEM!
If your car is standard, make sure the boot around the floor shifter is perfectly sealed, no rips or tears.

Another sneaky spot no one thinks about, are your door and window seals. Make sure they have no tears or chunks missing, ECSPECIALLY on the bottom side of the door. Mice love to run up in there and chew the seal to get entry. Next thing is to take that peppermint oil, and yes, they DO hate it, and rub that along each inch of each door seal!!! This will prevent them from even getting near it. Same thing with your firewall grommets, spread some on those too, remember, even if they are good, they can decide to chew on them next and get in, it's all about prevention. remember to do the trunk seal too!!

One thing to remember, many have restored their cars and may have replaced doors, deck lids ect ect, and if those are not adjusted properly, the seal may be perfect, but not even touching the panel in places, so again, another area a mouse can get in. Remember, if a mouse can fit the end of his nose into something, he can collapse the rest of his body to squeeze in! Mice SUCK!!!!

Rule #1, NEVR EVER put mice bait inside or near your car. Bait the mice at least 6' or more from your car.
Rule #2, mice are hoarders, DO NOT USE PELLOT BAIT!!! Use a bar of some sort, my #1 choice is One Bite, it lives up to its name, trust me.

One more thing before I end this long-winded advice fest, is don't forget to plug your exhaust tips with a simple rag, any chrome bumpers, headlight bezels ect you can think of coat with some wd-40, 1 they won't climb onto it and pee, mice piss is highly corrosive, and even if they did, the wd-40 prevents any damage.

Ok I'm done, I could go on and on, but these are some helpful tips I do, and perhaps can help you! Good luck!!!

Will

Reactions: 6 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Behind both kick panels are two holes to the outside that are factory sealed with adhesive patches which often fall off with age. You can reseal them Dynomat type material. Also check your HAVC leaf screen and the rain drain flap.

Reactions: 2 users

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
Behind both kick panels are two holes to the outside that are factory sealed with adhesive patches which often fall off with age. You can reseal them Dynomat type material. Also check your HAVC leaf screen and the rain drain flap.
really? I did not know this!

-dw-

Greasemonkey
Mar 15, 2021
Central MN
A month ago I got a glimpse of something moving out of the corner of my eye in my garage. Suspecting mice I set up a trap. Catch 5 lil rodents in four days. These traps were useless until I weighted the trigger paddle with screws. Makes the trap very sensitive. They never had a chance to touch the peanut butter

B972B74C-BCD0-41CE-9614-057AD91F9F37.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users

10secBUICKGN

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 21, 2022
Ashland County Ohio
I would LOVE to assist you in this, "pesky issue" PUN intended. The engine bay is the most common area for entry points, HOWEVER it's not the only area they like to try.

Let's start with the engine bay first, fire wall to be precise. Make sure all your grommets are in place and tightly fitted, such as your throttle cable ect ect. If one is popped out and it won't stay in, put some black silicon around the gap.

The other area they love to invade is the heater hose entry point. The factory foams around the inlet and outlet are easily gnawed at IF it's still there at all. I always buy a pack of steel wool and take a few minutes and pack it in and around the heater hose area on the firewall, where the hose actually attaches to the heater core, that gap.

A few other places you may want to check, are any areas you may have run something, wires, cables linkage ect ect, that required you to drill holes anywhere in the car, PLUG THEM!
If your car is standard, make sure the boot around the floor shifter is perfectly sealed, no rips or tears.

Another sneaky spot no one thinks about, are your door and window seals. Make sure they have no tears or chunks missing, ECSPECIALLY on the bottom side of the door. Mice love to run up in there and chew the seal to get entry. Next thing is to take that peppermint oil, and yes, they DO hate it, and rub that along each inch of each door seal!!! This will prevent them from even getting near it. Same thing with your firewall grommets, spread some on those too, remember, even if they are good, they can decide to chew on them next and get in, it's all about prevention. remember to do the trunk seal too!!

One thing to remember, many have restored their cars and may have replaced doors, deck lids ect ect, and if those are not adjusted properly, the seal may be perfect, but not even touching the panel in places, so again, another area a mouse can get in. Remember, if a mouse can fit the end of his nose into something, he can collapse the rest of his body to squeeze in! Mice SUCK!!!!

Rule #1, NEVR EVER put mice bait inside or near your car. Bait the mice at least 6' or more from your car.
Rule #2, mice are hoarders, DO NOT USE PELLOT BAIT!!! Use a bar of some sort, my #1 choice is One Bite, it lives up to its name, trust me.

One more thing before I end this long-winded advice fest, is don't forget to plug your exhaust tips with a simple rag, any chrome bumpers, headlight bezels ect you can think of coat with some wd-40, 1 they won't climb onto it and pee, mice piss is highly corrosive, and even if they did, the wd-40 prevents any damage.

Ok I'm done, I could go on and on, but these are some helpful tips I do, and perhaps can help you! Good luck!!!

Will
Thanks, Will. Soaked numerous cottonballs with peppermint oil from Amazon and placed them all over the car and that seems to have done the trick as the two snap traps i use for bait still have peanut butter on them. They would have been cleaned off by now. Will know by tomorrow morning for sure.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user

Maverick's_Monte

Greasemonkey
Sep 15, 2011
Rhode Island
If possible, use those pet and kid friendly bait stations outside, around the building where you are storing the vehicle. The best defense, is a good offense. IF you are going to use the snap traps, resist the urge to lather the lure with bait. A little dab of peanut butter or nutella will do it, especially on the underside of the lure. You want them to engage with the trap, otherwise they can sit pretty still and eat their fill.

Try to keep trash and any kind of food out of the area you store the car. Aside from looking for shelter you don't want anything additional to draw them inside.

For the nuclear, trap option, I have heard that this thing works real well. But for the price, it might as well wash and wax your rig and make lunch.

Good luck.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
If possible, use those pet and kid friendly bait stations outside, around the building where you are storing the vehicle. The best defense, is a good offense. IF you are going to use the snap traps, resist the urge to lather the lure with bait. A little dab of peanut butter or nutella will do it, especially on the underside of the lure. You want them to engage with the trap, otherwise they can sit pretty still and eat their fill.

Try to keep trash and any kind of food out of the area you store the car. Aside from looking for shelter you don't want anything additional to draw them inside.

For the nuclear, trap option, I have heard that this thing works real well. But for the price, it might as well wash and wax your rig and make lunch.

Good luck.
Now that is a trap I really like! Expensive, true, but the auto reset feature is pretty nice. Didn't research it, but wonder- is it baited? And wondering how long a CO2 cartridge lasts?

Of course, pricewise, this would be better suited for a barn or something to get rid of an infestation rather than just one or two nuisance visitors. Regardless, it's pretty cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor