Mirror options

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bgbird80

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 12, 2021
Hey guys trying to find mirror options for my 1980 malibu. It looks like somebody bondoed over original holes I have the originals but they are in terrible shape. Would like some chrome mirrors. I purchased 1 set that sat too low. Just wondering if there's a set people normally use TIA!
20210502_130149.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

Jakefromstatefarm

Master Mechanic
Feb 26, 2014
Not helpful to your case, but that is a clean looking bu you got there.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
I really liked the look of my Malibu with no mirrors, but it’s street driven so I needed to add them. I know you said chrome, but I’m really happy with these. I added fiero mirrors, but 3rd gen Camaro ones work better.

Attachments

• A7F34283-A7E7-4E27-8936-3012AB8BE2F0.jpeg
    A7F34283-A7E7-4E27-8936-3012AB8BE2F0.jpeg
    928.3 KB · Views: 110
Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Stock "bullet" mirrors and if the holes only have bondo you should have an easy time reinstalling these.
"aero" mirrors will also work but because the door was never designed for them you have to add a reinforcement plate in the door so the sheet metal doesn't fatigue over time from supporting the mirror.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Stock "bullet" mirrors and if the holes only have bondo you should have an easy time reinstalling these.
"aero" mirrors will also work but because the door was never designed for them you have to add a reinforcement plate in the door so the sheet metal doesn't fatigue over time from supporting the mirror.
The aero mirrors were mounted in a different spot than the bullet mirrors (higher and farther forward, as I recall), and the inner portion of the door was changed to allow access to tighten the nuts. That access hole is not on the earlier doors.

The bullet mirrors also use a stiffener inside the skin on an OE installation. The passenger side is screwed to the intrusion beam, I don't remember if that's the case on driver's side, or if it was spotwelded to the skin.

Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
The aero mirrors were mounted in a different spot than the bullet mirrors (higher and farther forward, as I recall), and the inner portion of the door was changed to allow access to tighten the nuts. That access hole is not on the earlier doors.

The bullet mirrors also use a stiffener inside the skin on an OE installation. The passenger side is screwed to the intrusion beam, I don't remember if that's the case on driver's side, or if it was spotwelded to the skin.
Yes, since his door are not designed for the aero mirrors he would have to mount them where farther forward and re drill his door and ad a reinforcement plate since his current plate would be for the bullet or factory chrome mirror, I probably didn't detail my explanation enough.

Last edited:

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
There is a structural beam that has to be modified to provide clearance holes to mount aero mirrors in the 86/87 Camino location. Can be done, but not a simple bolt-on. Put an 85 door on an 86 Camino a few years back for a friend, required some surgery to work.

Reactions: 2 users

Michael Watts

Master Mechanic
Dec 12, 2017
There are the Chrome Chevelle "Bowtie mirrors off the earlier cars either the square and or round designs.You can check such as the Year one Chevelle parts catalogs for ideas

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor