miss match ports

Status
Not open for further replies.

denny

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2017
first off i would like to thank everybody for the advice on my engine install. i will use it. now for what seems to be endless problems, i have what i would call a very bad miss match from my aftermarket heads to my current headers which are 1 5/8 primary tubes. if the photos come out like i think they will you will be able to see what i'm talking about. the measurement on the head is quite a bit larger than the header opening which in the words of my racer friend would be unacceptable to him. the green gasket is a template i made of the head opening and is against the header and shows where the exhaust will be banging against the header opening before i ever get out of the driveway. the dial calipers show the measurements of both head and header. difference to me is a bunch. if anybody has a set of 1 3/4 primary tube headers sitting around maybe you could get a measurement and that could be the fix. i would like to use what i have but i also don't want to give up a lot of tq and hp before i ever get going. these are pro comp electronics cast iron with 1.94 and 1.50. nothing special,just new.

Attachments

• IMG_0117.JPG
    IMG_0117.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 167
  • IMG_0120.JPG
    IMG_0120.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 451
  • IMG_0121.JPG
    IMG_0121.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 162
  • IMG_0118.JPG
    IMG_0118.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 199

HADA442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 21, 2017
Denny:

If you don't mind me asking: What's the application of the 1-5/8 headers; and/or their part number?

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Reactions: 1 user

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user

denny

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2017
Denny:

If you don't mind me asking: What's the application of the 1-5/8 headers; and/or their part number?
sorry about that. it's going in my 81 malibu and it's a 388 sbc. don't know the make of headers

denny

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2017
Who opened the heads up? It looks like a pretty amateur hour job. Who removes metal at the short side floor? that is just dumb and now there is nothing to seal to.

By new you mean "new to you?"
bought the heads new. they came the way you see them. no port work done.

denny

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2017
$191? I guess you get what you pay for.

CNC? Really? CNC makes straight lines. It's like Bender the robot was doing the blending and he'd been drinking.
don't know where you got the 191 or the cnc from, was not in my post. bought them years ago for a very mild street motor.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
The $191 is the price on the link motorheadmike posted. That ad in the link says CNC is an option and the picture they show is a head with EVEN LARGER (but atleast straight) exhaust ports so the picture must be of the CNC head.

Those heads don't appear to be designed for a street car. Even with larger diameter headers I don't see them sealing along the bottom for very long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor