MONTE CARLO Missing Cowl Tag on '84 SS

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprintcarfan

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 14, 2013
Vallonia,IN
Is it common for '84 Monte Carlos to have the cowl trim tag missing? I've read that 85-87's are commonly missing but haven't heard about 84's. I was looking at trim tags this evening to see about getting some touch up paint and noticed my '84 SS doesn't have a tag and doesn't look like it ever had one. The holes are there, but they are not distorted in any way. When I got it a few years ago, it was a 90k mile unmolested (apart from the radio) car with original paint/decals etc. that's lived it's entire life within 30 miles of my house so I don't think there's any funny business going on.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
I have never seen a cowl tag on a G body. At least the Regal, 442, and 3 Monte SS's I have had didn't have them. What holes are you talking about???

sprintcarfan

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 14, 2013
Vallonia,IN

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
It might of never been made for your car due to its build date. If it has a late date (May-Aug '84) could be the reason why there is nothing there.

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
Not all gbodys came with cowl tags. What i was told by a retired Lansing Michigan plant employee that not all line workers installed the cowl tags on the gbodys, it wasn't mandatory just like build sheets and they just threw them away. That guy was a wealth of information but he's long gone. I do remember prepping new 442 and gn's at the dealer some had them some didnt. There are people out there that do collect them.
20180322_225745.jpg

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Cowl tags became redundant with the introduction of the SPID (Service Parts Identification Decal) on the underside of the deck lid...which contains the data that was previously on the cowl tag, and much more info.

The info that would be used by Fisher Body to prepare the car body for assembly would have been on a broadcast sheet as well, which would be cheaper and easier to produce than a metal tag. Remember, if you can save a nickel a car (doesn't sound like a lot), by the time you build a couple million vehicles a year, that's a lot of $$$$

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Winner
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor