Missing keys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jadrien

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 14, 2020
Ok so I bought my 78’ monte with no keys, everything else seems to be perfectly fine except the tires, how do I get it to roll without the keys? I want to get it to a shop so they can Shang the locks and ignition.

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
Getting the car to roll is the easy part, go under the car and pull the cotter pin holding the linkage to the transmission. Once the linkage is removed you can put it in neutral by hand. Steering it if needed is much harder.

Reactions: 1 user

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
Dent puller... punch, snatch... flat-head screwdriver.

:)

-Gonz

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Getting the car to roll is the easy part, go under the car and pull the cotter pin holding the linkage to the transmission. Once the linkage is removed you can put it in neutral by hand. Steering it if needed is much harder.

especially when you are under the car...... :popcorn:

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX

Set the parking brake & Block the tires, first before reaching under the car ans disconnecting the trans linkage.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
On 78 you can't remove the ignition lock w/o the key. It's the only year. There's an internal detent on the cylinder that only retracts when you rotate the lock. It's a hold over from the old style in dash key methodology I assume. 79 and up use the screw to retain the cylinder. You should be able to get a key code from the dealer still. Maybe. Otherwise a locksmith is a good resource. Alternatively if you have a friend with a pile of ignition keys keep trying them until you find one that works. I think there are only 12 different keys so statistically a key assortment will get you there.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor