Mobil 1 synthetic oil VS. Valvoline Syn Power?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
I run syn power 10w30 in my 442 with ZDDP plus. Expensive oil and additive but I feel better about because the engine runs like clockwork after a good WOT blast. I also ran the same oil in my 350 olds crate engine since day one with another zince additive and that engine also ran good and didnt complain.

ZZ4CutlaSS

Master Mechanic
Jun 11, 2011
Minnesota
Minion1186 said:
I run syn power 10w30 in my 442 with ZDDP plus. Expensive oil and additive but I feel better about because the engine runs like clockwork after a good WOT blast. I also ran the same oil in my 350 olds crate engine since day one with another zince additive and that engine also ran good and didnt complain.
Is that additive usually for Flat tappet camshafts are is it good for rest of the engine? Glad to hear you trust Syn power just heard bad reports about Mobil 1 oil lately.

gwhiz

Greasemonkey
Aug 21, 2012
I like valvoline products,even their conventional oil.I tried mobil one afew times because i got agood deal on it and was not impressed.I dont know if it is just im my head,but it seems my motor runs smoother with valvoline.

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
All my stuff is GM. The people that engineered all the best HO engines at the time..
In the 90's and 2000's They had every one come from the factory with a fill of Mobil 1.
I worked At the GM desert proving Grounds then.
Every engineer there wanted Mobil 1 in there test cars.
We even drained the oil from a 3.4 Twin cam Lumina. They sent it out and drove it in 110 degree heat until it seized.
We put oil back in it the next day and it started and ran. They drove it around for a week,With no problem.
They had 55 gallon drums of the stuff everywhere. We used to Smuggle it out in 2 Liter pop bottles in our lunch bags. :lol:

Evan11

Royal Smart Person
Apr 17, 2009
Southern Indiana
Mobil one is great stuff. If I was to run synthetic, that's what it would be. All dads ever used in the 97 Chevy is Mobil. Grandpa bought the truck new & thats all its ever had was mobil one. 192k & the engine is clean enough to eat off of inside! I'm more of a Mobil & chevron/texaco guy myself.

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010
The only time I have noticed a difference in the "feel" of oil, is when its starting to get to the end of its life. And only in my diesel truck and 5.4L Ford truck.

I prefer Mobil1 Synthetic. But in my diesel 7.3, 15W40 Mobil 1 was not available, so I used Valvoline. It felt just as good. Lowered oil temp, started and ran smoother, and came out looking great.

Flip a coin, theyre both great.

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
Zinc additive is for flat tappet cams, you dont need it with roller setups. Matter of fact you dont need it at all, but I feel that if I'm gonna run my engine up in the rpms and do WOT runs and burnouts (pretty much running the engine harder than normal driving) I'm going to use it so I dont wipe the cam lobes clean off the cam. Basically for the protection I'll pay $8 or whatever the price is for the bottle. And it's not too expensive considering the fact that I only put 500-1000 miles on my toys each year, and not a lot of idling and run time in the winter either.

And yes, one bottle for every oil change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor