Modern A/C swap from donor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supa.Slo.SS

Apprentice
Aug 7, 2020
CA
Has anyone ever swapped out there old R12 A/C system for a "modern" system with R134 from a donor car? I have the original 305 & at first glance it seems the biggest obstacle is having the right bracket to mount the compressor & maybe different/custom fittings for the accumulator.

I have a GM donor truck with an LM7 that I will be swapping in within a year, so I have the entire AC system. Is there a company that makes the brackets to mount a modern compressor? Is it more complicated than I think? Would the drag on the motor be more or less when running the A/C?

FYI, I am aware of the Vintage Air & other retro system but they are a little to pricey for me. Also, because I will be doing the LS swap, I think it's a waste to buy already expensive R12 Freon to eventually pull that system out.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Depending on the block/frame mounts used you can use a pump from a v8 GMT360 (envoy, Rainier) , the stock GMT800 pickup bracket is fine and the same, but the pump itself is different and the outlets are in the way of the frame.

You just need to find adapters and new hose. The evaporator and condensor can be reused if they are clean. Replace the drier.

Reactions: 1 user

Supa.Slo.SS

Apprentice
Aug 7, 2020
CA
Thanks for the info I will keep this in mind when I swap the engine but I believe you misunderstood my question, what I am trying to do is adapt the A/C system from the GMT800 donor onto my first Gen Small Block Chevy .

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
If you plan on doing an LS swap in the near future, why concentrate on retrofitting an A.C system for your current smalblock? It sounds counterproductive to me. Why not just gather up the necessary A/C parts to install with the LS engine?

Supa.Slo.SS

Apprentice
Aug 7, 2020
CA
Longroof79, because 1) getting the LS in, in a timely manner is wishful thinking as it usually takes 2x to do what I want to do, so 2 years without AC is why I am looking to see if this is an option, 2) I have the donor, so if someone already makes the bracket then everything should be pretty straight forward. But maybe I should just rip the band aid and do the swap. :blam:

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Now that I understand,

No. Nobody makes brackets to mount LS compressors to SBC's that I am aware of. The LS compressors are FAR much less universal than previous styles. The R4 compressor and Sanden styles have universal/standard brackets so a R4 compressor from an olds would fit on a Buick V6 and on a SBC. But, LS stuff is kinda application specific and a F body AC compressor is different than a V8 Trailblazer and it's different than a Tahoe which is again different than a V6 4.3 sierra.

There is really no benefit to running a LS style compressor on a SBC. You can make an R12 comp run on R134 so no issues.

If you want to use a compressor that is forward/backwards compatible you can do one of two things.

1. Get your stock SBC R4 style compressor converted to R134a working and when you do LS swap buy a Holley, dirty Dingo or any of the many R4 to LS compressor bracket kits

2. Buy a Sanden compressor adapter kit for the SBC and then buy another adapter bracket kit for the LS.

I have no preference for Holley, Dingo, or Alan Grove stuff, never used any of their products, and there are a ton of other options available.

Personally I like the Sanden compressor option if you don't have an existing set of AC hoses or an existing R4 compressor.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Longroof79, because 1) getting the LS in, in a timely manner is wishful thinking as it usually takes 2x to do what I want to do, so 2 years without AC is why I am looking to see if this is an option, 2) I have the donor, so if someone already makes the bracket then everything should be pretty straight forward. But maybe I should just rip the band aid and do the swap. :blam:
Hey, I understand where you're coming from. It's hard enough to pinpoint when you're actually able to do the LS swap, so why not have a working A/C system in the car in the meantime while you're gathering parts and putting money aside to buy the necessary mounts, fuel system upgrade, electronics, etc.
If you already have the basic R4 compressor/ system in the car now, I'm sure you'll be able to have it gone over and make it functional without breaking the bank.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Also look into a new condenser. Your old one will physically work, but isn't sized properly for R134A.

But why do you want to switch? Have you ever felt a properly running R12 system? I've literally seen frost coming out vents before with a good system. 🤣

Reactions: 1 users

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
Also look into a new condenser. Your old one will physically work, but isn't sized properly for R134A.

But why do you want to switch? Have you ever felt a properly running R12 system? I've literally seen frost coming out vents before with a good system. 🤣
This is good to hear. I was bummed that I mistakenly threw my original condenser in the trash thinking it was the old one from my wife’s car. Now I know I would have had to repair anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor