Modern Fluids Poll

Which systems do YOU (not OEM answer) think should be flushed/refilled at a given interval? (When?)

• Just change it all at OEM timeframes

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Transmission flush OEM times

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Transmssion flush alternate time

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Coolant flush OEM time

• Coolant flush alternate time

• Rear Differential OEM time

• Rear Differential alternate time

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Feel free to comment when if you think a specific time applies.

It's the first time in 30 years that there's a newish car (2 actually) that I plan on keeping for the long haul. Olwe bought new, one was built winter '14 with 20k, the other was built '15 but has over 100k miles. Manual says to flush/service lots of areas, basically everything.

My 77 truck, 87 burb, and ALL my gbodies have factory sealed rear ends, have only had transmissions topped off as needed, and have coolant checked/replaced as needed without interval replacements. It's worked.

Curious if there's anything about these newer car systems that change these dealer-boosting moneymaking services into must do? It's no longer the brass/copper era either... I'm inclined to just monitor coolant and send it, but, just thought I'd throw it out there.

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
The only transmission flush I've ever had done was in '98 on a '77 Plymouth before leaving Seattle for a trip 1200 mile to so. Cal. when my brother got married, and possibly, (I don't recall for sure) on my wife's Taurus sometime around the 90,000 mark.
Never had a rear dif flushed, only
topped off.
I typically only do coolant when heater needs work, or when replacing a hose or water pump. Otherwise just top off as needed.
Engine oil, on the other hand, gets done usually between 3-4000.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
On my 2013 ZL1, at about the 500 mile mark, I drained and changed the rear gear oil (was already getting gnarly with wear-in particles) with compatible Mobil 1 synthetic gear oil, and Mobil 1 Dexron 6 synthetic changed out in the 6 speed manual transmission. THAT was kind of a PITA, but got it done. Oh, and along with a full Mobil 1 oil changeout in the engine. Sucked out the clutch cylinder (brake fluid) and replaced that with new stuff.

Mileage usually isn't a factor on the lightly used cars. Time usually is up for motor oil changes. I try to keep up with hose/belt change outs. But not always great with that. I still need to get to doing the 2012 Ford Focus hoses/coolant. I got the part number list for Ford parts for the hoses, but it's only got 4300 miles on it. So part numbers is as far as I got. Got about 800 miles on it in the last year and the oil change monitor system is already telling me it's time to change the oil again.

On the daily drivers, I let the GM OLM tell me when it's time to change oil. They've put a lot of time and effort into that system and it has NEVER failed me. There's no dipsticks on the newer car and truck for the transmissions so if it screws up, I'm taking them in for service. I'm likely not going to flush the transmissions any time soon.

Reactions: 1 user

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Never, ever, wait to change engine oil according to what the vehicle or salesman tells you they can go for mileage. You WILL regret not changing it more often. I change engine oil every 5k miles. No matter what.

Reactions: 3 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Never, ever, wait to change engine oil according to what the vehicle or salesman tells you they can go for mileage. You WILL regret not changing it more often. I change engine oil every 5k miles. No matter what.

the cost of oil changes is way cheaper than an engine rebuild..... :popcorn:

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
All of my co-workers and I can't understand why our boss doesn't agree. We are operating 2-300,000 dollar semi trucks, and the owner is reluctant to give the OK to the shop for preventive maintenance on many items. He would rather wait until the truck breaks before spending money on it. I believe it's better to spend 2000 now than 12000 later, but that's the opinion of a truck driver, not a truck owner.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Below is an old, but good read by a guy involved with the GM OLM development. And I totally get understanding and trusting GM's OLM is one of those things the 3K-miles-and-done dino oil crowd (which used to be me) has a hard time wrapping their head around. You can always change your oil early, but I've never had an issue with using the OLM to base the oil changes. I use full synthetic nowadays anyway, so that's one difference. Cars with OLM don't know what oil you run, but it's initially based on the recommended oil for your particular application. The OLM conservatively guesstimates oil life by numerous factors that can affect oil life, not just mileage. RPM, temperatures, etc. Interestingly, he isn't a fan of Amsoil's extended mile OCIs. I guess because Amsoil's basing mileage on the oil itself, not the application or varying conditions it may live in.

Personally, I was getting about 6500 miles give or take on OCI's based on the OLM on my 2010 GMC. That was before. I'm going to wait and see with the new truck.

People have reported sending in oil samples based on the OLM recommended change intervals, and although the oil was obviously worn, it was still good enough to do the intended job.

If you change your fluids in your own comfort zone, and makes your ball sack hair nice and toasty warm, by all means, change away. I'll just wait on the OLM. I used to be skeptical, but now I believe in it. I haven't had any oil related issues with any car I had that used the OLM.

• Agree

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Without an OLM, I think 5K miles is a great compromise for peace of mind and engine longevity. Unless you're running the old world dino oil, 3K miles is way too conservative IMO.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
5k is easy, you don't even need a sticker in your window to remind you, simply change it every 5k miles.... makes life easy and your engine will thank you

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
All of my co-workers and I can't understand why our boss doesn't agree. We are operating 2-300,000 dollar semi trucks, and the owner is reluctant to give the OK to the shop for preventive maintenance on many items. He would rather wait until the truck breaks before spending money on it. I believe it's better to spend 2000 now than 12000 later, but that's the opinion of a truck driver, not a truck owner.
Here in the Keystone state, the DOT does oil changes/basic PM based on fuel used instead of miles or hours on the trucks & almost all equipment. So if one has very low use or spends alot of "quality time" waiting for the mechanics to fix it (again) it may not see an oil change for over a year. But don't think our trucks & equipment are the best shape so we could use more oil changes/PM's on them (even replacing the fleet sooner would do it's all good with average 15 year old truck that should be off the road after 10.)

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor