Modern Fluids Poll

Which systems do YOU (not OEM answer) think should be flushed/refilled at a given interval? (When?)

• Just change it all at OEM timeframes

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Transmission flush OEM times

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Transmssion flush alternate time

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Coolant flush OEM time

• Coolant flush alternate time

• Rear Differential OEM time

• Rear Differential alternate time

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
If it happens to fall within my vehicle's warranty period it is done on time and in accordance with the manufacturer's specifications. No ifs ands or buts about it. It isn't worth the risk of something goes wrong.

My Hellcat requires a very expensive oil change every 6 months or XXXX miles - regardless if it's even been driven or not. Feels like I am pissing money away until I need that warranty. So don't give them an excuse. I just got all the Amsoil I need to do the HellKitty from front to rear (engine, trans, and diff) because of how hard I've been breaking it in. Feels like cheap insurance and so can add magnetic drain plugs while I am in there.

IMG_20201010_164742.jpg

The best examples I have of more normal OEM service intervals are the Colorado and TBSS. Both, while under warranty got what they needed when they needed it. Now they get what they really need relative to the condition the fluids are in - this is either based on usage or age of the fluids. The TBSS gets so little use it is mostly just keeping an eye on things. The Mrs' Colorado is just now coming up to 90,000 miles and will need a fair bit of attention at 100,000kms. After that, again just the basics.

The wagon and Monte will only see maintenance. I don't subscribe to the idea of "just because" fluid changes - they have high quality fluids in them and I don't like pissing money away.

This should give you an idea of how seriously I take using quality fluids. Everything from Procharger oil to name-brand antifreeze in there, including Royal Purple for the lawn mower and Lucas 2-stroke mix. Usually there is more but I just changed the Colorado's oil today:

IMG_20201010_164733.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

mccormack944

Apprentice
Mar 31, 2018
Ohio
Brake fluid should be flushed out roughly every 5 years, it absorbs moisture, moisture boils at 212 not well over 400 like brake fluid. T case and diff services should be done roughly 50/60k miles as should power steering fluid, we have seen evidence through customer cars that those who have serviced their fluids had less long term issues. Coolant is every 5 years it does become acidic after as time goes by, and small particles of aluminum corrosion will clog a heater core in modern vehicles and have seen enough of them to prove it. Of you’ve been in a modern car with good heat on one side not so good on the other side and it’s not a blend door issue, it’s a partially restricted heater core

Reactions: 1 user

1bad79

Royal Smart Person
Dec 3, 2011
Allendale mi
I change my oil every 3000 miles and never use dextos in either of my gm vehicles because when I did follow what they said my camshaft went out in my truck engine since then I do my own thing 200,000+ on both now have Never flushed any other fluids

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I agree on the OLM. Basically the rule of thumb is stay above 40% or change it. I run full synthetic, equals 10Kish Kilometers between changes. Towing, our Challenger did not make 10K. Coolant is now the 10 year stuff. Both diffs and the ZF 8 speed are full synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor