"Modernizing" my 1984 Cutlass

Status
Not open for further replies.

BamaBoy256

n00b
Jun 20, 2011
Or swaps youve seen that really looked clean? Im talking about seats or dashes. Ive been looking on the net lately trying to find things to make my cutlass stand out. I want it to look more modern honestly! I was thinking about fiberglassing the dash and then i saw a couple of forums talking about swapping dashes from W and F body gms. So my questions are 1. What are some dash swaps that you KNOW will work with a gbody (something that would bolt right up in a 1984 cutlass)? 2. What are some other things you've seen done that give gbodys a modern look? Ive seen LEDs in the tail lights and consoles added but im just getting started in the car game so I know I havent seen much.

trevorjm

Greasemonkey
May 2, 2011
Dakota Digital makes a complete set of digital gauges for g bodies but they're pretty crazy expensive (i think at least they're like $700)

Grand Prix dashes swap right in cause it's a g body and those swaps look really good. People have done BMW/Impala/and 3rd gen Camaro dashes that look good two. Seats from new monte carlo's fit in easily too and change the seats and look pretty good.
http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=42526 here's those dash swaps.

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
If you take a dash from any other car than a GBody, you will have to do some modifying to make it fit correctly. The 3rd and 4th generation Camaro's and Firebird's seem like the most common swap and they look really good.

dlo253

G-Body Guru
Mar 25, 2011
PNW, WA
Hell Yeah, I really like that dash too. Wonder if They are using the jag gauges? I like that color too haha

BamaBoy256

n00b
Jun 20, 2011
3m13o63lf5O25W45P5b6d54c7cb43161e1bd8.jpg
Thats exactly what im talking about I love the way the dash looks right there the console also! Id probably leave the wheel out and just throw a grant in there but besides that I love that interior.

http://youtu.be/GFR_Jh-XYr8
These are the tail lights i was referring to. A guy on another forum im on makes them.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
Wack.

people who want modern should buy modern and people who want foreign should buy foreign. I loved the bmw 3 series I owned and it's interior but I would never get it twisted and remove the nuances of the vehicle which make it what it is and try to make it something that it isn't. I remember in the 90s I saw a lot of brushed aluminum dash in oldschool cars running the dakota digital, and that looked cool because its sticking with the american car theme & also retro too.

As for making a cutlass into a jag? weak - sauce. At least take the seats out of a cadillac and stick w gm parts that don't require so much fabrication + color code match. Big thumbs down on the mixing foreign parts w/ domestic and ruining American cars. When are ppl going to wake up and realize that if GM goes the way of Chrysler/Ford we'll all be driving a bunch of fwd magenta purple fagmobiles - oh wait we already are so these really were the last hotrods made and stop ruining them. Whats next a jaguar engine in a cutlass too?

I dont see too many people ripping the interior of their bmw's or jags out to put cadillac interiors in place keep it Real

BamaBoy256

n00b
Jun 20, 2011
Sorry that you feel that way sir but by having an older model olds it makes it easy to do what "YOU" want to do to "YOUR" ride. The whole reason im considering the dash swap is because i didnt really see an option I liked from dakota digital, and I probably wont use a Jag dash cause I cant afford it I do like how it looks though. If I had the money to restore a 85 442 inside and out then I would but I dont have that luxury. So Ill do what I can with what Ive got as long as I like it. Your opinion is always welcome though I like looking at things from others perspective.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Almost any "modern" dash will not look right in a G-body. That Jag dash included.

The G-body has sharp, angular lines to it that a dash with a lot of curves just doesn't match or fit in.

However I prefer the custom touches that don't scream "hey, look at all the custom stuff I did!" but rather you would need to spend some time looking at what was done.
And in my opinion, there are very few modern dashes out there that match the lines and level of luxury and detail found in the Olds dashes with their wood grain, chrome accents, etc. Especially something from a a low level F-body.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor