CUTLASS Modine 569 or 570 radiator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WanaBa442

G-Body Guru
Aug 5, 2017
New England
Anyone have an older Modine radiator application guide or catalog?
Cutlass radiator has started to pee out of the lower tube and I'm pretty sure it wont heal itself. Found a place fairly local (driving distance) that has a Modine 569 and a 570 listed for decent $$, spozed to fit a G-body.
Any help with these numbers?

WanaBa442

G-Body Guru
Aug 5, 2017
New England
So, I took a 3 hour road trip and picked up a new, never used stock brass and copper 2 row rad for the Cutlass. (BTW, it was the 570 Modine #).
Found the ad on C/list from a salvage place that sold radiators back in the 80's & 90's till the Auto part chain stores started selling the offshore plastic/aluminum replacements and they couldn't compete. Rad was new in the box and very reasonably priced also.
Guy was working on a '48 Cadillac limo and we chatted for a bit. He let me in thru the back gate to the overgrown salvage yard and I checked out the two Montes he had, both picked over and crusty. Lost the tailpipe on the Tundra due to rust and some serious potholes, but well worth it for new G-body parts (y)

Reactions: 6 users

BlueCalais79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 3, 2021
Good comment on the plastic/metal new junk that's on the market now. I have 2 or 3 used radiators I was going to scrap which came out of various 79 Cutlasses I have owned over the years. They are all the old school types with full metal side tanks. I am now going to pay to have them all re-cored/repaired and either sell them or keep them for when the ones presently in my cars kick. The new ones just can't measure up to the original stuff.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The old rads had their merit but corrode and don't cool as well as even the aluminum plastic rads. Also they are twice the weight easy, especially compared to the aluminum plastic rads. The new large core aluminum rads blow away even the old Copper Brass 4 core rads for cooling. Nice part is now you can get stamped tank aluminum rads that look like the original rads. His Modine is not a concern for an Olds 260 like original poster is running or even a 307 or a mild 350. Once you step up to a high compression 350, 403 or 455, especially with A/C, these old rads don't cut it. I had a Copper Brass rad in my 88 Cutlass when I bought it. It cooled the Olds 307 just fine. On the 20 minute drive home after installing a 8 to 1 Olds 403, it floored the gauge on the 20 minute drive home.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

BlueCalais79

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 3, 2021
Good call, I'm currently running a large core aluminum radiator in my Olds 260. I just got my A/C fixed after it not working for 18 years. Looks like I'm having the same old problem with it, no issues with Temp when I run the car at any speed with the a/c off, usually around 170. But as soon as I run the A/C the temp creeps up and up both at extended idling and sustained highway speeds. The faster I go (over 65) the higher it gets, very close to 220. I'll be trying a new fan clutch to see if this stops that. If I shut off the A/C it goes back to 170. Maddening to say the least. I'm running a 200r4 with a 3:08 posi with that 260. This is a rebuilt motor I had a shop build and install back in 1993 with about 75,000 miles on it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor