Monroe coil over shocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huen79H/O

Apprentice
Jun 5, 2018
I looking at buy a set of coil shocks to help hold the rear of my car up so the fender. Will not rub on tires over bumps. I have station wagon springs that give a good height put flex some times when hit bumps. I am looking at the Monroe 58411 coil overs has any one used them. Thanks for the help
Screenshot_20180615-155558.png
Screenshot_20180615-155558.png

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I have only time I've ever seen these used is in a TBSS. Personally I'd use air bags first, or a tall low rate coilover spring inside the ones you currently have.

That being said, if your shocks are worn - more spring isn't the solution.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I have them on my Jeep right now. The rear leaf springs were sagging and I didn't want to attempt changing them while I am awaiting hernia surgery. So I opted for the coil overs and I am impressed with how nice they ride. Not harsh at all and they raised the rear about two inches. When I installed them I noticed that the extended length was only about two inches past the lower mounting point so they worked exactly as I hoped. That said, when I used them on my Bonnewagon they rode pretty hard. I am to blame for that as I was transporting 40 cases of beer at a time from Wilkes-Barre to NYC and at that it shined. I had High Jacker rear coils with the coil over shocks and the 40 cases didn't budge the rear an inch. But unloaded, it rode pretty stiff. Also since I had bigger springs I needed shock mount extensions to fit the coil overs. If you have them too then consider that. The extensions are not that easy to find these days. They look like a big "H" and when you are under there cursing the idiotic shock mounting configuration you might as well replace with stainless steel hardware. Another issue is that with the coils the shocks are already at maximum extension. If the springs are so high that the shocks don't reach past the mounting stud they will probably break. The picture in my avatar is with those coil overs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor