MONTE CARLO Monte Carlo 17x9 and 18x9.5 wheel fitment

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
I’m trying to nail down some specifics on wheel fitment for 9 inch(ish) wide wheels on the front of a MC for a while. Kind of stuck on a 9 inch wide wheel since I want to run a 255 wide tire for a square setup, rear isn’t a real concern: running a Foxbody 8.8 with adjustable control arms and the frame is notched to the seam.

What are the issues that some have found with running upwards of a 9 inch wide wheel up front with stock A-arms? Currently the car has tall upper and lower ball joints and a Blazer spindle swap.

I’m aware that Streetbu and Ramey from UMI are running a 9 inch(ish) wide wheel up front, both cars are Malibu’s. Ramey has 17 inch wheels. Streetbu has said he has UMI arms, and I’m unaware what Ramey is running.

The wheels I’m eyeing are a few different styles from ESR, all will be 18x9.5 with a +15mm offset (around 5-7/8 backspacing), and a set of Third Gen GTA reproductions from Hawks Motorsports in black, those are 17x9 on 5.5 inch backspacing.
ESR:
(There’s a 3rd one, but it’s got fake bolts to make it look like a 3 piece wheel, which I’m not a fan of, same specs.)

And Hawks:

I’ve also been looking at a set from Riddler Wheels, specifically the 607 in 18x9.5 but those only have a +6mm offset which is only an extra 1/4 inch of backspacing, and I think those will stick out in the back too far for my tastes.

I was originally going to run with a wheel from Rocket Racing, but Holley got a bug up their behind and discontinued nearly half of that style’s lineup for no reason, and I’m not interested in spending $600 a piece for the Attacks.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
I'm actually using RideTech front end parts, but UMI rear arms... 5"-ish backspacing should do you. Im running 9.5" wheels with 5.25" backspacing.

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
I'm actually using RideTech front end parts, but UMI rear arms... 5"-ish backspacing should do you. Im running 9.5" wheels with 5.25" backspacing.
Ah, my mistake. You wouldn’t happen to have any photos of the inside of the wheel at full lock?

Debating on buying the tubular uppers from SSM if they’ll offer more clearance.

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Ah, my mistake. You wouldn’t happen to have any photos of the inside of the wheel at full lock?

Debating on buying the tubular uppers from SSM if they’ll offer more clearance.
I don't, but can take some tomorrow evening. What view do you want, spindle/tie rod clearance?

L05edSS

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2022
I also need to figure out backspacing for wheels on a 85 MCSS... any pics of wide tires stuffed in?
i dont have any pics of them on the car yet but will soon. this best i got from the garage where had work done. they are 17x8 with 3.5" bs, i understood the orig 15x7s aluminum (86-88) bs was 3.75". best i can say is these come close to outer edge of wheel wells and took the rollerskate look out of it. front rubbed on the plastic inner wells around the mudflap area, mechanic pushed them back and tacked em there no more rub simple fix. the tires are 245/50 17. the wheels i got have no holes/solid dish custom made from wheelsmith http://thewheelsmith.net/wheel-catalog/oem-wheels/17-inch-oem-wheels set of 4 custom built was bout $1500. it sure costs a lot to look cheap. lol

oh 1 other thing the tire guy who mounted these looked at me as if insane said "i don't see this at all." then puts 1 on and said "now you're giving me ideas." he has a 80s cutlass.

Attachments

• wheel.jpg
    wheel.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor