Monte Carlo Factory Power Sunroof ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
So I told him that it was not offered as a factory option and might have been dealer installed when new but his response was "It was a factory install !!! "

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
So I told him that it was not offered as a factory option and might have been dealer installed when new but his response was "It was a factory install !!! "

Well could be like the "fo fity fo Monte Carlo SS wit the fan clutch an blue motor mounts".
Hell they may have come off the same assembly line!:blam:

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I asked for an interior side picture and the decklid decal so we will see, anything is possible but most likely he doesn't know the difference between a factory installed or dealer installed, if I didn't know better I would say mine is factory but it is probably as close as you will get .

383_StealthRam

Greasemonkey
Dec 29, 2016
So I know that my 83' Monte has an inbuilt power sunroof from ASC that was dealer installed when new and I always heard that there was never an option for the Montes to get a power sunroof/moonroof but there is a guy on FM selling parts from his 87' Monte SS claiming it is factory installed but has no interior shots to send me, it looks more like the one I installed in my Regal. So is there anything verifying that this was not an option or maybe if you knew the right people.

View attachment 151286
To my recollection (I could be wrong) from having owned Cadillacs, Olds and other GM vehicles from 80s/90s/00s any sunroof/moonroof (RPO code CF5) is that if it has that black plastic trim/molding around the roof opening it's not a "factory/oem" (as in built from the factory) option. The factory equipped ones I've owned/seen have all had the roof panel opening stamped into the roof with a clean/painted edge that the seal/weatherstrip around the glass panel fits snugly inside. The black plastic molding is used to effectively hide/smooth the "cut" edge of the roof panel and provide the sealing surface for the glass weatherstrip on the aftermarket, dealer installed ones.

The thing I remember most about the Moonroofs (oem or aftermarket) is the fact that the drain holes in the pan can sometimes clog up and the water that does get in past the seals won't exit and on a hard accel/stop maneuver would spill into the headliner, or worse your dash, console or lap.

HTH

HTH

Reactions: 1 user

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
No GM On-the-line Installed Sunroofs on SS's. It's like another on that got away on the assembly line, sure. I have a white one of 1 87 SS cause there is only one ser# per car that makes it unique :)

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
There is also a 1969 Mexican Shelby. An LT in my Army Unit had one here in TX and he knew what he had too. I had never heard of it, let alone seen one. Goggle it!

How about a Ford T5.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Speaking of 442's how "rare" is it for a maroon/gray interior combination? They exist in the 85' and 86' SS's but is fairly uncommon, but a cool combo. Someone on FB posted a 442 for sale that sure looked like the original paint/interior and it was that maroon/gray combo, first time I ever noticed that in those, it was an 86'.
In 1986 and 1987, these were the only two years you could get the burgundy exterior on the 442. You got only two choices with that color for interior, and that was either gray or claret CLOTH. No vinyl.

As far as rare, I wouldn't suppose so within the Cutlass line, but I would venture to say since they made a total of 4,273 1986 442s, the overall numbers in 442s would be small in comparison. Even though the 1986 442 had the highest 442 production numbers for the Olds G-body VIN 9 cars. But no different ratio than the other 86 Cutlass Supreme/Salon models with burgundy and gray interior I would imagine.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor