monte carlo ls swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

lsxone

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 22, 2017
im in process of doing a carb 5.3 swap i have some wires running from the ecm to the driver side body harness?i believe.1 wiring is a 4 pin connector and tide into the alt wire.What do i do with this cut out the un needed wires?i want to delete the ecm if its not needed,Also need help on getting rid of a rigged up hot wire for the starter if someone could tell how to wire the starter so it will engage with the key again that would be great.Thanks for any help!I did try search couldnt find these wires.83 monte carlo ss

lsxone

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 22, 2017
ok i figured out the factory ecm just some ac wires and lockup connector dont need any of that.Next question the guy before has 2 red wires tired together and ran to the battery they are in the factory harness does anyone know what they are?I cant find a wiring diagram of that part,Please any help would be great,Also i have 2 wires on my alt one thick red wire and a little brown wire i think that is a signal wire but what is the other red one for?

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
The underhood red wires in the factory harness are probably the same ones that used to go to the starter. One should go to the buldhead connector for interior/ignition switch power. The other feeds the high speed blower relay (mounted to the heater box). As far as the alternator leads: the brown is ignition excite, one red is charge lead to the starter or battery, and you'll have to chase the other one.
The start wire is a 10/12ga. purple in the bulkhead connector and in the same harness as the aforementioned red interior feed.
If you want to make it a clean install, strip all the split loom off and incorporate the existing into the LS harness. You can get some ideas from my build thread: https://gbodyforum.com/threads/operation-lipstick-on-a-pig.64137/page-23 . The Series 2 harness is basically an LS. Pro tip: you can hook the cruise control up to the LS PCM with just the 4 column wires!

lsxone

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 22, 2017
Thanks for that,Now im on to a electric fuel pump wiring,When they say IGN switch where would be the ideal place to run the wire?Also the diagram says starter wire but which one the purple solenoid wire?I will be running it off a oil pressure safety switch too.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Did you get the full harness out of the donor? The donor should have a starter relay built into the fuse center. It runs through the VATS in the PCM.
Personally. I'd run the fuel pump off a relay from the battery. The PCM should have a fuel pump output to trigger the relay.

lsxone

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 22, 2017
yes i will be running a return style regulator just trying to get this wired right

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor