Monte carlo rear end size

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonutCr3w

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 24, 2013
Salem, NH
I have an 85 sport coupe with an open/non-posi diff, does anyone know what size it is im looking to do a posi unit

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
Stock it had the 7.5 inch rear.

dixon_ronald

Apprentice
Jan 1, 2011
Houston, Texas
DonutCr3w said:
I have an 85 sport coupe with an open/non-posi diff, does anyone know what size it is im looking to do a posi unit

I have the same year make and model. It is a 7.5 10 bolt rear w/26 spline axles. You can purchase them new or do like i am and peruse the junk yards. If you look at the "pumpkin", it will have the "little fangs" on both sides of the bottom of the pumpkin.

I know that you can use any of the following:

1) 80'S 8.5 10 bolt (HURST OLDS or GRAND NATIONAL) complete rear, which will bolt right in. IIRC correctly they are not all posi?

2)Search for an early 80's camaro (82-88) IIRC for the carrier and ring & pinion(gears). This will be a direct swap in also.

3)Look for a early 90's F-body carrier(7 5/8) and ring & pinion (gears), BUT you will have to change out the axles to the 8.5 axle type (28 spline).

If i left anything out gents, please feel free to chime in...hope this helps ya out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor