Monte Carlo special high power models

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
asing off post #1, I was under the impression he could only use a Monte Carlo for this.
yes i saw that.

Here you just kinda have to prove that it's safe to install the engine in to your car and there have been similar power cars from factory available

the spirit of the law is to make sure the engine doesn't overpower the chassis and brakes. by showing the inspectors that the chassis and brakes under a GNX is capable of controlling 300hp, then a ls1 powered monte ss should be permissible.
loop holes, just trying to help him find loop holes.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
yes i saw that.

the spirit of the law is to make sure the engine doesn't overpower the chassis and brakes. by showing the inspectors that the chassis and brakes under a GNX is capable of controlling 300hp, then a ls1 powered monte ss should be permissible.
loop holes, just trying to help him find loop holes.
GNX also has a different rear suspension that any other Gbody.

Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
IMO I feel the research should have been done before the purchase of this LS powered Gbody, it is like someone in Cali installing a 540 BBC crate engine and then asking how do I make it emissions legal.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

GN-Finland

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 7, 2020
Thank you everyone for the answers! I will get my hands possibly on couple Mexico market brochures like El Camino, Monte Carlo & Malibu soon. There might be some helpful stuff available so with help of all this + Buick GNX power numbers and chassis proof sh*t i'm sure the mission will be completed.

We don't need catalytic converters, egr, evap etc. stuff here if the car originally haven't have them.
Cars newer than 1991/1992 are stated as " Low Emission " vehicles and all of those need to have catalytic converters and also the emission limits are much more tighter. Once a year i have to pass yearly inspection with my safe and warm Volvo 240, C10 chevy and on April when the cargo ship brings Monte Carlo to port of Helsinki i have to prepare for inspection center check also. They will check the brake balances/parking brake, lights, suspension, rust issues, emissions, oil leaks etc. And of course the aftermarket ebay sh*t like the xenons the old owner installed are illegal.

Our emission system to Classics:

Years 1978 and under: No Emission Check Needed

1979-(sep.30)1986: No catalytic Converter. HC [ppm] MAX. = 1000 / CO% = 4,5

(Oct.01)1986-1991: Vehicle Might have catalytic Converter from factory or not. HC [ppm] MAX. = 600 / CO% = 3.5

New law came to year that cars older than 40 Years have inspection every 2 years and people are partying partying about that. We have like 3 month long summer so would be just okay to let the cruisers cruise without any inspection stuff as all these cars are now summer/hobby cars anyways so the owners will keep good care of them.

As hard the laws are in California, most of the time i'm just dreaming on packing my cars to container and leave this place behind lol.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
GNX also has a different rear suspension that any other Gbody.
yes thats true. but that was more for planting the power for drag racing wasn't it? did it improve the other characteristics of how the car handled, turned, stopped? GNX still had the same brakes, sway bars, etc.
not looking to hijack the thread, or start a fight. just trying to help GN-Finland find a loop hole

GN-Finland

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 7, 2020
yes thats true. but that was more for planting the power for drag racing wasn't it? did it improve the other characteristics of how the car handled, turned, stopped? GNX still had the same brakes, sway bars, etc.
not looking to hijack the thread, or start a fight. just trying to help GN-Finland find a loop hole

Yea, the GNX has unique rear suspension setup for better handling including custom rear-end cover where the torque arms bolts right on and also it has pretty long panhard bar which make it even better so the rear end will stay better centered while suspension is traveling up and down. It's not really ideal for drag racing like ladder bars, this kit allows one side to travel in much more so the car will have good grip on outern side tire while cornering and not going straight like shopping cart would.

Brakes are still the same as all the other high power g-bodys and front brakes are the brakes that stops the car really.

Attachments

• gnx1.jpg
    gnx1.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:

87National

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2009
eastern SD
Here you just kinda have to prove that it's safe to install the engine in to your car and there have been similar power cars from factory available. No matter if it would be some kind of special model that have been sold 10pcs to Japan or Africa lol. Those models you can use as comparing models to inspection center engineer and send the paperwork to proof for the DMV for approving/denying then engine swap. Compare model have to excatly the same model car. It feels the most brain dead thing ever when all the g-bodys share the same chassis basically.

^This right here is why I'm thankful that I don't live in a communist state/country. I can't imagine having to ask for approval from some government bureacrat to modify MY car.

In my state there are no emission inspections and no laws on vehicle drive train modifications.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Thank you everyone for the answers! I will get my hands possibly on couple Mexico market brochures like El Camino, Monte Carlo & Malibu soon. There might be some helpful stuff available so with help of all this + Buick GNX power numbers and chassis proof sh*t i'm sure the mission will be completed.

We don't need catalytic converters, egr, evap etc. stuff here if the car originally haven't have them.

US G bodies came with cat converters, EGR, EVAP (which you do want), and many other systems from the factory. Some early US LS1s have EGR, and all US LS have EVAP from the factory. US cars have come factory equipped with low emission systems since the 1960's. Cali cars have even stricter emission packages and standards than the other 49 states have.

IMO I feel the research should have been done before the purchase of this LS powered Gbody, it is like someone in Cali installing a 540 BBC crate engine and then asking how do I make it emissions legal.

In Cali, swapping in a LS is almost as bad as a BBC swap. For a pulled LS engine to be a legal swap into a older car, you must also swap over the complete LS OBD 2 low emission package which includes the donor car's gas tank and dash. Most modern gas tanks are not deeigned to fit in a G body easily. I seen it done, but the body has to be hacked up to retrofit a modern enhanced gas tank. Even then there is no guarantee the referee will pass it. After all that you can't alter the tune in the PCM, not even in the Erods, and they do test PCMs to see if they have ever been reflashed in Cali.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor