Monte carlo ss window sweeps

Status
Not open for further replies.

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
So i bought all the rubber to put my car back together but the dew sweeps seem wrong. First thing i noticed was a chrome bead. The shape us also different. So if anyone knows the part number to monte carlo ss window sweeps id greatly appreciate it. It says its for 83-88 SS blk w/rd bead. Ill be sending it back I just wanna make sure I get the right part this time.
20201223_224612.jpg
20201223_225249.jpg

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I bought these from Mikes MC. I called him and he knew exactly what I needed. They are PITA install compared to what I was expecting. But they worked great.

Reactions: 2 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Does your car have B72 (colored exterior moldings) with B85 wide molding? I don't know jack about the nuances of Monte Carlos, but I know SS's had black trim. The SS's I've seen had a sort of wider but smooth black molding on the outside of the window sweep without a round bead. I'm guessing that's the molding you seek, right? The wide crap I'm used to is the Regal/Cutlass bright molding. That's a real POS setup there, but that's another story.

The GM part number for the outer sweep LH would be 20674284. RH would be 20674285. Some NOS ones on ebay right now. About 200 bucks with tax and they're at your door. Not cheap, but what NOS stuff is anymore? I believe these are not the entire assembly (molding and rubber strip), but I don't know how they actually come from GM.

1981-88 MONTE CARLO SS WINDOWFELTS SET PAIR NEW GM NOS 20674284 / 20674285 | eBay

Dixie Restoration Depot sells some aftermarket ones that fit the outer molding on SS. So they claim. Whole set for around 90 bucks.

78-88 SS Inner & Outer Dr Molding Sealing Strips (set of 4) (dixierestorationdepot.com)

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Fairchild has the wide molding stuff as well. No metal molding, but the strip part without the bead. P/N is KG2183

I went and looked up the p/n that you got and it's a Goodmark Industries part. But the description sucks. It says SS WITH round bead. WTF? I was under the impression SS didn't have round beaded ones. Thing is, some NON-SS Montes had moldings too, but they were bright moldings instead of black. Only difference. So if you find any that fit monte W/Molding, I think you'll be ok. If you see them advertised W/Round bead, those would be incorrect for cars with the molding. Confusing sh*t.

From the Goodmark Website...I highlighted the part that stuck out at me as being a bit WRONG.

DOOR WINDOW BELT WEATHERSTRIPS BLACK W/ ROUND BEAD, 83-88 MONTE CARLO SS CAN FIT 80-82

Part#: GMK406242380S

Last edited:

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
I bought these from Mikes MC. I called him and he knew exactly what I needed. They are PITA install compared to what I was expecting. But they worked great.
Thanks. I emailed them this morning seeking guidance. I shoulda investigated further before buying them.
Does your car have B72 (colored exterior moldings) with B85 wide molding? I don't know jack about the nuances of Monte Carlos, but I know SS's had black trim. The SS's I've seen had a sort of wider but smooth black molding on the outside of the window sweep without a round bead. I'm guessing that's the molding you seek, right? The wide crap I'm used to is the Regal/Cutlass bright molding. That's a real POS setup there, but that's another story.

The GM part number for the outer sweep LH would be 20674284. RH would be 20674285. Some NOS ones on ebay right now. About 200 bucks with tax and they're at your door. Not cheap, but what NOS stuff is anymore? I believe these are not the entire assembly (molding and rubber strip), but I don't know how they actually come from GM.

1981-88 MONTE CARLO SS WINDOWFELTS SET PAIR NEW GM NOS 20674284 / 20674285 | eBay

Dixie Restoration Depot sells some aftermarket ones that fit the outer molding on SS. So they claim. Whole set for around 90 bucks.

78-88 SS Inner & Outer Dr Molding Sealing Strips (set of 4) (dixierestorationdepot.com)
Its only 80$ more then the repops brand i bought from goodmark. I kinda worried about the age of the rubber on the NOS. Im very tempted to buy them. I emailed the guy to see if its the inner/outer sweeps for both sides. I Cross checked the part numbers you gave me on rock auto. I definitely got the wrong sweeps as theyre a different part number. Thanks for all your help.

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Thanks. I emailed them this morning seeking guidance. I shoulda investigated further before buying them.

Its only 80$ more then the repops brand i bought from goodmark. I kinda worried about the age of the rubber on the NOS. Im very tempted to buy them. I emailed the guy to see if its the inner/outer sweeps for both sides. I Cross checked the part numbers you gave me on rock auto. I definitely got the wrong sweeps as theyre a different part number. Thanks for all your help.
Dude, I got NOS moldings for Cutlass and they've been living a nice life in the back of the closet for years. The rubber is still nice and pliable. If you lay them outside on the deck and let the sun get to them for 20 years, sure, they'll get crumbly.

Thing is, I think those NOS ones on ebay are just the rubber bits and don't come with the actual molding. I'd try one of the aftermarket sets first to see if you can get where you want to go.

I found the black moldings part number. I suspect these come with the rubber strip attached. RH is 20736840 and LH is 20736841. They were almost 80 bucks each list price 20 years ago. They're unobtanium now I imagine.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Dixie Restoration Depot

Poking around, I found the link above which shows the moldings and how to tell the difference. I think the Goodmark SS reference is WRONG WRONG WRONG. I wonder how many of those unsuspecting SS owners got F**KED ordering the wrong parts thinking they'd fit? And they probably DO fit by themselves, but they don't go with the wider moldings that's supposed to be on the car.

• Informative

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
OPGI has the same goodmark ones as listed above. The goodmark description even has the wrong years since those will not fit an 80, its 81 to 88 without the wide mouldings. I have heard of people cutting the bead off but no personal experience.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I called him - he’s very knowledgeable and helpful - and a sponsor here- so that’s all the reason to pay for the knowledge imo.

It’s nice to talk to someone that isn’t a salesman - kinda like UMI and Southside Machine - you get people that have done what you’re doing - not some kid reading from a script.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor