Monte Carlo Trunk Torque Rods vs struts/shocks what years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 30, 2007
Dear All,
My friend has an 81 Monte carlo that has struts/shocks that hold the trunk up. Is this factory equipment? If this is factory what years had this setup vs the torque rods? I have never seen this before. I thought all GM's had the torque/tension rods that held the trunk up.
Is this stock? If so, whould you rather switch to torque/tension rods and has anyone done that before? I am handy with the welder so that is not a problem, but I do not want to be undertaking a massive fabrication project to change it over.
Maybe you can tell I don't like the shock/strut setup. The shocks wear out. The torque/tension rods have been around GM forever and I personally have never had a problem with them. He has an alignment issue with his trunk, it seems one shock is not retracting enough forcing one edge of the trunk near the rear window up leaving a gap where water can get into. Figured going to the rod setup would cure that.
If anyone has any experience with this it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Scott

jerrycad472

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2006
Detroit, MI
My 78 Cutlass had the torque rods, 81 Regal and 81 Monte Carlo both have the struts and I agree they don't work well. The ones on my Monte that I bought at a local autoparts store lasted only a few months. I am hoping to find a higher quality unit, but have not had the chance to look for one yet.

I think they may have gone back to the Torque Rods on the later model G-bodies but I am not sure. I had 85 and 86 Monties for a short time and don't remember the trunks being an issue.

If you change them, let me know how that goes.

Apr 30, 2007
I know the 88 monte ss has torque rods, as another buddy has one. I thought that someone cut out the torque rod brackets an installed struts in the 81, as I have never seen them before. I am going to check my factory parts and illustration catalog to see what years have what.
If anyone else have done this conversion please let me know.
Thanks,
scott

gmachinz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 7, 2005
Des Moines, IA
To my knowledge, 1980-82 G-bodies had the trunk shock option as well as the 1983-88 models but the earlier versions had two styles. It's true I've never seen them on a Monte before but I have an 81 Olds Cutlass and an 81 Regal and they both have them. The Olds shocks are smaller in length than that off the Regal. If you want the best replacement trunk shocks, go to this guy: I've bought from him and these are nice trunk shock replacements...best I could find anyway. liftsupportsdepot.com AKA Mr. Lou's Stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor