Monte interior vs. olds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadeyejedi80

Greasemonkey
Apr 8, 2018
Saratoga springs ny
how much different does the gbody Monte Carlo interior look from an olds? I’m considering a bucket seat , console shift and steering column swap from a 1986 Monte Carlo into my 80 cutlass .i would prefer all Oldsmobile but this stuff is local to me and might be an option

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
I think the only thing that is car specific are the upper sail panels. Everything else should interchange

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
As far as I know, those items should be the same. Oldsmobile pieces will more than likely have more chrome, but the basic construction should be the same.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
The column plugs might be different due to the 80 having different lights and such, only way to know is compare. The console would require the brackets from the MC be transferred to the Cutlass.
I have aftermarket buckets and a MC console in my 87 Cutlass....
20200530_210108.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
Oh crap I missed that the Cutlass is an 80’, if you’re not rewiring the Monte dash you’re going to have issues, columns are definitely different and the block connected that passes through the firewall is completely different. You would need every scrap of wiring from the Monte to make it work properly.

• Agree

Deadeyejedi80

Greasemonkey
Apr 8, 2018
Saratoga springs ny
I had hoped to just swap columns and be done . If I have to do a bunch of wiring changes I’ll just hold out for an 80 cutlass interior . What I didn’t want is it looking like a Monte interior in an Oldsmobile . It sounds like it will be visually different .

WanaBa442

G-Body Guru
Aug 5, 2017
New England
I was contemplating the same thing, found an 86 Monte LS with the right color blue interior to swap into the 78.
It would work, but anyone who knows would immediately spot the Monte console in an Olds….
But, it seems the console availability ratio for the two is at least 2:1 in favor of the Chevy unit.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I completely forgot about the wiring differences. So, is/are the year breaks: 79-80, 81-84, then 85 & up? I think the main difference is the wiper switch on the column vs. dash, no? Or, is that 85 & up? I'm thinking you might be able to repin the column connector 79-84?

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
The column will interchange, but the main issue would be the stalk mounted wiper switch vs, the dash mounted switch. If you still intend on using the dash mounted wiper switch with a newer column, there shouldn't be an issue. You just plug in the large plug from the column and leave the smaller plug un-plugged....again, if I recall correctly. If you plan on replacing the dash with a newer style minus the dash mounted wiper switch you'll need some of wiring pigtails, etc. to make it work.
As for the Monte Carlo interior, I'd say if you could get it all for a good price, grab it. You can always trade off some of pieces you don't intend to use.

Bruce, you pretty much summed up the column/ dash difference. What I said was pretty much redundant.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Query: what's wrong with the existing column?

If you're just concerned with floor shift, why not just swap the collar off the floor shift column body that is sans shifter arm mount onto your existing column?

Little known/appreciated fact about the columns is that you use the same linkage and such and, if you watch, while shifting that same couple inch ring on the body where the column shifter would've been actually rotates and moves the same as if a ghost was shifting it.

Guys with broken shifter parts have been known to grab that column ring on a floor shift car and muscle it around by hand to shift the car as well.

If your existing column is otherwise sound, way less work to swap that than go crazy rewiring the car to rep in a different year column.

Even easier still is to pull the pin, remove the shifter arm, then just put a security collar around the column that hides what you did.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor