Monte seats in Malibu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LLucast80

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 7, 2018
I bought the seats from an '85 Monte for my 79 Malibu. The rear seat back doesn't fit. It is too wide at the bottom and has the top hangers in a different place. Also, the front tracks only fit three of the stud locations of each seat. I have correct tracks, so I assume I can swap those. But does anyone have a suggestion for the back? I still have the Malibu rear seat, but the upholstery is shot.

Any help is appreciated.
Larry

LLucast80

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 7, 2018
Everything I read says they should be a direct swap, but the wire frames and foam are different. I took the upholstery off the Malibu frame, and I think

303'505rollin might be right. It looks like, with a little effort, I could make the new upholstery fit the old frame.

Thanks for the point in the right direction. I haven't had the pleasure of countless hog-rings in a while.
Larry

Reactions: 1 user

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Seem to recall having stud location issues when I went to swap in buckets in place of the factory bench on my now deceased 78. The outer pair of studs adjacent to the rocker panel flange/seam are a fixed datum, meaning that how and where they are located on that side to side lateral bracket/brace means they have the same distance center to center whether the car came with a bench or buckets. The two that parallel the tunnel may be a different story. The back one has plug welds that tack it to that same side to side cross brace so it can be fairly easy to situate. i do know that when i re-installed the in board pedestals that abut the tunnel the one that I had to measure and re measure multiple times and even check the alignment from in to out with a carpenter's square to make absolutely sure it was where it needed to be was the front inner one near where the floor shifter sits because once i got it burned in it would be a stone b**** to cut away the seams and plug points to free the stud and its pedestal to adjust them all over again.

I cannot honestly say if there is an inboard bucket seat that is shorter that would solve your problem. Most of the G-body track assemblies I have ever handled, when paired, had the feet landing the same distance apart whether an "innie" or an "outie".

Nick

LLucast80

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 7, 2018
Mounting the new studs is pretty straightforward. They form a perfect square, so mark the existing studs on template board, and mark the other studs to make a square. Put the template on the existing studs, put the new brackets under the template with the studs through the template. The put a couple of sheet metal screw through the new brackets to hold them while you weld them. You might want to drill holes in the new brackets to weld through.
I was able to use the MC upholstery on the Malibu rear seat frame. I switched seat tracks to the Malibu ones, which are different from the MC ones, despite all I read about interchangeability.
Thanks for the comments and advice.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Mounting the new studs is pretty straightforward. They form a perfect square, so mark the existing studs on template board, and mark the other studs to make a square. Put the template on the existing studs, put the new brackets under the template with the studs through the template. The put a couple of sheet metal screw through the new brackets to hold them while you weld them. You might want to drill holes in the new brackets to weld through.
I was able to use the MC upholstery on the Malibu rear seat frame. I switched seat tracks to the Malibu ones, which are different from the MC ones, despite all I read about interchangeability.
Thanks for the comments and advice.
Seat tracks should be the same regardless. Only differences is usally with the inners between the buckets & 40/60 benches.

• Agree

LLucast80

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 7, 2018
The guy I bought them from said he personally took them out of an 85 MC. The problem was with the inners, so maybe they were 60/40s. I tend to take people at their word, so maybe this was a lesson learned.
Thanks again to everyone who helped figure it out. They are in the car and look good.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor