Monte SS and Cutlass 442 Stock Dual Exhaust Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
So for my project 86' Regal with it's current good running 307 Olds I was looking at putting a factory dual exhaust set up on it from the cat back and was looking at Autozone and both of these cars even though their exhaust systems look very similar the Monte appears to have 2" mufflers with offset/offset and the 442 has 2.25 muffler's that are center/center.
The two tailpipes and intermediate pipe are cheaper for the 442 and I imagine it would be a direct fit for my Regal with a 307 but the problem is there is basically only one oval muffler that fits this application while the Monte would have many options because of the offset/offset design.
Eventually I will be building a 383 for the Regal and at that time I will install headers and true duals but for the time being I would like to get rid of the stock single exhaust with the muffler behind the rear end.
So I am wondering if there would be much of a difference in fitment between the two systems, if there really is a size differance and if the catalytic flange is the same, I will also be modifying the tailpipes to exit like a GN.
Here are the two replacement mufflers: http://www.summitracing.com/compare

Last edited:

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
Two completely different systems.

The Olds setup would be a direct bolt on to a stock catalytic converter as converters were the same for VIN Y and VIN 9 Olds'. Chevy used a slip-fit/ball-socket catalytic converter while Olds used a flat flange/ball-socket setup.

I recall both the Chevy and Olds having offset mufflers though? I don't see how a center-center muffler would be possible as there isn't clearance for it. I believe the factory Chevy mufflers were shorter though.

I personally don't think the Regals look right with SS pipes straight out the back. And yes, the Chevy tailpipes are/were 2"...for no apparent reason.

Grand National tailpipes had the same type tips as the 442 Olds I thought. Though Grand Nationals had a transverse single muffler like a single exhaust car though with 4 ports, and short tailpipes. Very odd setup. The Olds' had full length "traditional" over the rear axle tailpipes.

The only thing that might be hard to source are the hangers for the tailpipes. AP/Merit doesn't offer them (Nor any parts for Grand Nationals or 442/Hurst cars), and I don't recall Walker offering those hangers either. I lucked out by finding mandrel stainless tailpipes with nice original hangers included (442 style).

Last edited:

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Two completely different systems.

The Olds setup would be a direct bolt on to a stock catalytic converter as converters were the same for VIN Y and VIN 9 Olds'. Chevy used a slip-fit/ball-socket catalytic converter while Olds used a flat flange/ball-socket setup.

I recall both the Chevy and Olds having offset mufflers though? I don't see how a center-center muffler would be possible as there isn't clearance for it. I believe the factory Chevy mufflers were shorter though.

I personally don't think the Regals look right with SS pipes straight out the back. And yes, the Chevy tailpipes are/were 2"...for no apparent reason.

Grand National tailpipes had the same type tips as the 442 Olds I thought. Though Grand Nationals had a transverse single muffler like a single exhaust car though with 4 ports, and short tailpipes. Very odd setup. The Olds' had full length "traditional" over the rear axle tailpipes.

The only thing that might be hard to source are the hangers for the tailpipes. AP/Merit doesn't offer them (Nor any parts for Grand Nationals or 442/Hurst cars), and I don't recall Walker offering those hangers either. I lucked out by finding mandrel stainless tailpipes with nice original hangers included (442 style).

The SS use a high flow cat with flat flanges on both sides while the LG4, MC use a different style cat from the SS with L69.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I personally don't think the Regals look right with SS pipes straight out the back. And yes, the Chevy tailpipes are/were 2"...for no apparent reason..
I personally don't even think Monte's look good with the SS pipes which are why when I made my tailpipes for my Monte I styled them after a GN.
As I stated I will be modifying whichever tailpipes I buy to exit like a GN but it appears availability for the Olds pipes are limited.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
5104717.jpg

This is the complete Walker system for the Olds I was also surprised to see the center/center muffler set up.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
Per the link below; this is the type of system I run on my monte ( for now ). I chose this one so that when I switch out the TES setup I have now for full length headers and true dual exhaust all I will have to do is tie in from the headers to the mufflers. From that point I can leave everything intact. Its all 2.5" Mandrel Bent. I recall when I called them ( which was more than a few years ago now ) they wanted to know which Converter flange to weld on and if I wanted to exit at the tire ( GN ) or out the back bumper ( SS ). They used Offset mufflers but could also upgrade to others if requested. They were a great shop to deal with

http://heartthrobexhaust.com/2008488p.html

Oh, I almost forgot, They sell a Gbody header back kit as well. They list which headers to purchase with the kit so you can bolt it all up in your driveway
http://www.heartthrobexhaust.com/8158710p.html

Last edited:
It doesn't say, is that an aluminized setup? And do you know prices?

High Roller

Greasemonkey
Aug 25, 2009
Cowtown USA, MN
You could also go with the Hooker Cat Back system #16810HKR $411.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
As I stated this is basically a temporary exhaust but I want a new set up only and as cheap as possible since I will custom make the exhaust for the new engine later on.
That being said I ordered the Walker intermediate pipe for an Olds 442 for $78 shipped from Ebay and both tailpipes from Jegs for $75 shipped.
The only issue I see is the driver's side tailpipe appears to be discontinued so I might have to use Monte SS tailpipes if Jegs can't get the pair (they are special order on backorder) but the intermediate I should have in a few days and should be a direct fit for the catalytic.

Mat1227

Greasemonkey
Aug 28, 2010
Richfield, Ohio
I bought an 87 442 new, and the mufflers are center in and out, they are a small straight thru muffler, believe the body is only 11" long, GM actually calls them a resonator. I put Walker mufflers on my original when needed, they fit well and sounded the same as GM mufflers. My current 87 442 when I bought it 2 years ago had a single exhaust on it, (hated it) bought an original GM exhaust from someone parting a wreched 442 that came out of Arizona, exhaust was perfect condition, I really like the tone from the original exhaust, then In removed the cat, now I love the exhaust tone, still has the Code 9 307 with 170HP, and sound like I actually have some HP under the hood.

One thing I may be able to help you with, my original 87 442 I drove until I scrapped it with 250k miles and lots of rust, but I kept the exhaust off it (cat back less mufflers) so I have the intermediate pipe and both tail pipes, they are not in great shape, but you could get a good exhaust shop to make you the tail pipe that you are missing with one they could copy from. See you are in Michigan, I'm in Ohio (just south of Cleveland) you are welcome to have the tail pipes if you want them. I don't think they would be good enough to use, but as a template to get new ones made, they should be good. If your in eastern Michigan (Detroit area) only about 2 hour drive. Easy to get here, about 2 miles from exit 173 on Turnpike.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor