More Headliner Qs

Status
Not open for further replies.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
So I'm going to have to replace the headliner in the GP403. I glued it back up with the right stuff, but 1/2 of it came down again, this time bringing the foam with it. :x

Anyone have any experience with the new ABS-backed stuff? They're fairly expensive but it should last forever. Any particular place anyone recommends to get them? I've seen them at 1aauto and a couple others I can't recall atm.

The big problem is going to be cutting out the openings for these C&C t-tops. They don't use the big trim pieces like the factory ones, so that'll be fun. :roll: I'll be sure to post pics and instructions when I do this.

85_SS

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2005
Ontario, Canada
With proper cleaning and a good glue, a replaced headliner should last 15-20 years no problem. I would just redo what fell down with a quality adhesive.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
85_SS said:
With proper cleaning and a good glue, a replaced headliner should last 15-20 years no problem. I would just redo what fell down with a quality adhesive.

Heh. That's what I did. unfortunately while driving the wind pulled a corner in the back loose (guess I missed a spot!), and brought it down, this time the foam was pulling off the backing and falling out in various sized chunks. The adhesive stuck to the foam alright... So there's a big mess up there, with the rest all over the back seat. :cry:

25yrs of various conditions proved to be too much for it I guess.

85_SS

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2005
Ontario, Canada
So its the material that seperated from the foam? Hmmm... I would think there was a problem with the foam/material adhesion then - unless as you say it caught an edge in the wind.

What I have done with mine is remove the board and let an upholstry shop recover it (~$30) then reinstall myself. To get them to do the whole thing around here is much more money at around $180 IIRC, and I didn't want to screw up the material install myself so I did the time consuming part to save money.

87GP

Greasemonkey
Jul 15, 2006
It's such a crappy design, isn't it? What amazes me is that new cars/trucks are still using this proven problem of a headliner. When I got my gp a little over a year ago from north carolina the headliner was perfect. After about 10 months here in ny it started bubbling and falling. I got an estimate last week of $145 from an upholstery shop.
I thought about doing it myself( I'm an ex-bodyman) but by the time I pull out the interior, pull all the mouldings off and break all the clips, search for new ones, hope the dogs don't pee on the seats while I'm at the repair shop, etc, etc, I think the $145 might actually be a bargain.

Jman

Greasemonkey
Jan 4, 2006
Ontario
I just redid my own after I was quoted over $200. So I cheaped out and did it with a soft vynol(black). $48 foam and material, $12 for a can of spray glue. While I was at it I installed an overhead console from a 95 Jimmy. Turned out pretty good for a first time. Coulda used a little more glue though. If any one does this themselves don't be shy with the glue.

chev malibu

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 7, 2006
B.C.
I had to sell my Daughters Camaro, that had a sagging headliner. I thought removing it an regluing would be to much for what I was getting paid. (nothing) :wink:

I bought some of those small upholstery thingies that your grandmother used to use to hold armrest covers on her favorite couch. They have this small spiraled wire coming out of this plastic button like head. I simply twisted them into the headliner, through to the cardboard at evenly spaced intervals. It had a rather regal look to it by the time I was finished. A poor mans button-tuck, if you will. 8) The fellow who bought it didn't say a word about the unusual headliner. You could prepaint the buttons to match your interior color, with some SEM trim paint. I just used the clear headed ones as they were...

Now my Malibu, I was thinking of doing similar, as it is hanging pretty bad, but I thought I may cover it with vinyl, over a layer of new 1/2" foam. I would try and get the proper button-tuck buttons though.

My big question is, how do you get the headliner out the door? Is it flexible enough to fold to fit through the opening?

Jman

Greasemonkey
Jan 4, 2006
Ontario
NO do not fold it. Its apain in the butt, butt it will fit. Lay the seat allthe way back, and gently ease it out. be carefull with the sun visor corners. they are the weekest point.

chev malibu

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 7, 2006
B.C.
Jman said:
NO do not fold it. Its apain in the butt, butt it will fit. Lay the seat allthe way back, and gently ease it out. be carefull with the sun visor corners. they are the weekest point.

Hmmm, lay the seat back? Might be tougher in a bench seat car! I have the complete rear seat out of the car, so I have a bit more room, but it should still be some fun. :shock:

chev malibu

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 7, 2006
B.C.
Well I got the headliner out, and no major damage. I see what you mean about the sun-visor mounting points being a bit on the weak side. I didn't bust them off, but they had some cracks.

I peeled the sagging material off, which seemed to be only holding around the dome light, and the edges. Dome light wiring removal a bit tricky to figure out, never had to do that before. Finally figured it out.

I broke one of the metal retaining clips that slips over the dome light mounting pins. I hope I can find something that will do the job. They look like a clip that holds the emblems on some Honda's, so will check that out.

Now that old foam , if that is what you can call it, :roll: was turning to dust. I took a paint scraper, and spent 30 min's scraping it off. A stiff whisk brush took off the remainder. Now on to the next step..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor