CUTLASS More Quality Control issues from 1985. And an interesting decal find on the AC Compressor

69hurstolds

69hurstolds

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
While I was taking pics for the radiator flaps, I saw something I hadn't even realized for 34 years. Quality Control was horrible in the mid-80s. My car proves it. All original crap here. I'm amazed the friggin' hose was even hooked up.

Fuel Evap Canister 85 442.JPG

An interesting find is the original A/C compressor's decal. There's nothing wrong with the decal itself, but there was usually a stamped number after where it says "Code No.". Kinda like an internal date stamp or something.

Anyway, mine doesn't have that. Kind of odd. Even the replacement ACDelco compressors came with a stamp. Again, probably another Quality Control genius asleep on the job when the compressor got built.

AC Compressor Decal 85 442.JPG

69hurstolds

69hurstolds

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
It's your fault for not noticing the defect for 34 years so I doubt GM will warranty that issue...:popcorn:
I'm simply amazed I never looked that closely at it before. There were several things that were missing or not adjusted right or whatever when I picked it up at the dealership. It's kinda saddening that the pre-delivery inspection didn't catch all that stuff. They didn't even put the limited slip additive in it at the factory. Had to get that done under warranty. Friggin' azzholes.

• Sad
Reactions: Rktpwrd
pontiacgp

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'm simply amazed I never looked that closely at it before. There were several things that were missing or not adjusted right or whatever when I picked it up at the dealership. It's kinda saddening that the pre-delivery inspection didn't catch all that stuff. They didn't even put the limited slip additive in it at the factory. Had to get that done under warranty. Friggin' azzholes.
I had friends who worked at GM in Oshawa ON back in the 70"s and whenever one of them ordered a new car they would take a day off to follow the car down the line so the car would not be missing any parts when it was completed....they even got some exrtras on the car by their friends on the line....

Last edited:
airboatgreg

airboatgreg

Royal Smart Person
Oct 2, 2016
That is why my main drive is a Tacoma, as much as I hate to say it

69hurstolds

69hurstolds

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
That is why my main drive is a Tacoma, as much as I hate to say it
I guarantee you it's not a 1985 Tacoma. That was worse than the GMs in those days. Japan started flipping the script on the U.S. in the late 80s as far as automotive QC and finally started to put to good use the quality control methods we were teaching them after WWII. Thanks, William Deming. Why weren't you in the GM Arlington assembly plant back in 1985?

Ribbedroof

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Remember, in 1985 GM was #1. #1 doesn't try harder....or at all. "Too big to fail" was the thinking of the day, along with the idea that THEY knew what customers wanted/needed, despite a shifting demographic of buyers.

Reactions: michmalibuman
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Hippi Free lemans stuff now with more G-Body Parts For Sale / Trade 23
M Need Some More Wire Help Updated 4/28 Electrical / Ignition / Starting 16
Regalman08 FOR SALE More parts added 1981 Malibu classic 2door parts G-Body Parts For Sale / Trade 12
Ribbedroof Proof some people have more money than brains OFF TOPIC 29
RNGredline More pictures of the regal😁😁 New Users 2
WanaBa442 Not buying any more parts, I promise.... General Discussion 13
O. D. Showtime FOR SALE More This & That G-Body Parts For Sale / Trade 30
1-sic-83 Gbodys & more!! G-Body Parts For Sale / Trade 110
olds307 and 403 Take back ROP, sorry one more gone. General Discussion 14
tc1959 More G Body's from Motorweek. General Discussion 10
D More brake swap?? Wheels / Tires / Brakes 5
S more pics of the 86 monte General Discussion 4
C Shocks springs and more Frame / Chassis / Suspension / Steering 10
69hurstolds 442 MORE accolades for Mike's Montes Mike's Montes 5
7 Astro Steering Shaft Info (Yes more) Frame / Chassis / Suspension / Steering 8
RockAuto RockAuto.com Discount Code for Parts & More - Expires July 1, 2020 G-Body Parts For Sale / Trade 0
86HotRodSS a few more pics of my Olds Cutlass Supreme Brougham Oldsmobile Cutlass / 442 / Hurst/Olds 4
Bonnewagon More DMV madness General Discussion 27
1320John$$$ Not so quality in control General Discussion 9
buhler86 Cruise Control and LS G-Body LS Swap 4
M Control arms Frame / Chassis / Suspension / Steering 1
leefybeaver FiTech Transmission Control G-Body LS Swap 5
pagrunt My home made rear sway bar/control arm inserts Frame / Chassis / Suspension / Steering 0
Tschafer94 Control arm swap Frame / Chassis / Suspension / Steering 8
G T type 8.5 with 3.73s and sway bar, full set of brand new umi control arms G-Body Parts For Sale / Trade 9
81_El_Homewrecker Cruise Control Stalk Rating Electrical / Ignition / Starting 10
lonewolf Placement of control knob for passenger side remote mirror Body / Trim / Paint / Glass 5
ed1948 Adjustable Upper Rear Control Arms Frame / Chassis / Suspension / Steering 16
melloelky boston CL ad,not mine.good deal on rear umi control arms.upper and lower General Discussion 0
O. D. Showtime REGAL Digital Climate Control Buick Regal / T-Type / Grand National / GNX 17
K NIB Spohn Front upper Tubular Control Arms 1978-1987 GM G-Body G-Body Parts For Sale / Trade 8
S Help- Looking for Cruise Control Connector or Harness Electrical / Ignition / Starting 4
S 1983 Cruise Control Multifunction Switch Wiring Connector Oldsmobile Cutlass / 442 / Hurst/Olds 1
FastCraig Searching for a particular rear control arm bracket Frame / Chassis / Suspension / Steering 25
TURNA Heater control delete plate General Discussion 7
T FOR SALE UMI Performance Control Arm Reinforcement Brace Kit 3028-B G-Body Parts For Sale / Trade 5
bazthespazz Replace bulbs behind heater & A/C control. How-To's / Knowledge Base 4
gnvair Can anyone definitively say that the front lower control arms from an S10 will work on a 78-88 A/G body?; Frame / Chassis / Suspension / Steering 22
L upper control arm question Frame / Chassis / Suspension / Steering 17
L Upper control arm shaft help Frame / Chassis / Suspension / Steering 3
C non ac control head Cooling / Heating / AC 9
O Cruise Control not working New Users 1
Hubb79 Upper control arm swap Frame / Chassis / Suspension / Steering 4
Hubb79 Upper control arms Frame / Chassis / Suspension / Steering 2
Jackdiablo S-10 upper and lower tubular control arms Chevrolet El Camino / GMC Caballero 20
84dragcutlass Control arm bushing removal Frame / Chassis / Suspension / Steering 20
D Rear control arm? General Discussion 13
J Dakota Digital Cruise Control in 84 Hurst/Olds Oldsmobile Cutlass / 442 / Hurst/Olds 3
B Tubular control arms Frame / Chassis / Suspension / Steering 15
T Southside machine performance upper control arms Frame / Chassis / Suspension / Steering 11