More Quality Control issues from 1985. And an interesting decal find on the AC Compressor

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
While I was taking pics for the radiator flaps, I saw something I hadn't even realized for 34 years. Quality Control was horrible in the mid-80s. My car proves it. All original crap here. I'm amazed the friggin' hose was even hooked up.

Fuel Evap Canister 85 442.JPG

An interesting find is the original A/C compressor's decal. There's nothing wrong with the decal itself, but there was usually a stamped number after where it says "Code No.". Kinda like an internal date stamp or something.

Anyway, mine doesn't have that. Kind of odd. Even the replacement ACDelco compressors came with a stamp. Again, probably another Quality Control genius asleep on the job when the compressor got built.

AC Compressor Decal 85 442.JPG

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
These cars were built by drunken unionized monkeys.

• Agree
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
It's your fault for not noticing the defect for 34 years so I doubt GM will warranty that issue...:popcorn:

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
It's your fault for not noticing the defect for 34 years so I doubt GM will warranty that issue...:popcorn:
I'm simply amazed I never looked that closely at it before. There were several things that were missing or not adjusted right or whatever when I picked it up at the dealership. It's kinda saddening that the pre-delivery inspection didn't catch all that stuff. They didn't even put the limited slip additive in it at the factory. Had to get that done under warranty. Friggin' azzholes.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'm simply amazed I never looked that closely at it before. There were several things that were missing or not adjusted right or whatever when I picked it up at the dealership. It's kinda saddening that the pre-delivery inspection didn't catch all that stuff. They didn't even put the limited slip additive in it at the factory. Had to get that done under warranty. Friggin' azzholes.

I had friends who worked at GM in Oshawa ON back in the 70"s and whenever one of them ordered a new car they would take a day off to follow the car down the line so the car would not be missing any parts when it was completed....they even got some exrtras on the car by their friends on the line....

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
That is why my main drive is a Tacoma, as much as I hate to say it
I guarantee you it's not a 1985 Tacoma. That was worse than the GMs in those days. Japan started flipping the script on the U.S. in the late 80s as far as automotive QC and finally started to put to good use the quality control methods we were teaching them after WWII. Thanks, William Deming. Why weren't you in the GM Arlington assembly plant back in 1985?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Remember, in 1985 GM was #1. #1 doesn't try harder....or at all. "Too big to fail" was the thinking of the day, along with the idea that THEY knew what customers wanted/needed, despite a shifting demographic of buyers.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor