Most Common G-Body Problems

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
How about the fact that the stock front brakes suck? Metric D154 calipers with 10.5" rotors just don't cut it.
Solution for 15" wheels is upgrading to 2WD Blazer brakes with 11" rotors.

Better upgrades require larger wheels.
'98-'02 Camaro LS1 brakes with 12" rotors fit with 16" wheels.
C5 Corvette brakes with 13" rotors need 17" wheels.

Reactions: 1 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
How about the fact that the stock front brakes suck? Metric D154 calipers with 10.5" rotors just don't cut it.
They were better than drum brakes, 20 years before.

Biggest problem: finite, decreasing supply. Solution, keep your eyes peeled, have cash, have a towing rig, find a barn to hide them in until you are ready to rework one.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Turbo442

n00b
Jan 3, 2017
Can't drive or leave anywhere for fear of being stolen.
Fix; garage, alarms and various antiteft, park in view whrn possible and good insurance, especially good insurance.

Many of the other items listed (door hinge bushings, window seals and plastics) were problems when they were relatively new.

Water pumps were always going out on 3.8's. It was common and could lead to overheating as people I knew would keep driving because it was "just a little drip" from the weep hole. I would just replace mine every year as they were only $20

Lukeschwtz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 13, 2018
LOL...This topic is funny. My dad always owned 81 Malibu coupes when we were kids. He had like 6 different ones. Then when my brothers and me were old enough to drive we had them. My personal favorite is the Cutlass. We have experimented all these issues, but I would have to say the worst issue to me is the rust. Rusty cars suck, it turns a car into a money pit and pile of junk. Its almost impossible to find a solid door in this section of the country. Additionally the Buick 231 engines are absolute garbage I remember the oil pump would always go bad, destroying the engine. Another problem is that these cars just don't bring good money yet. They are gaining some value, but its really not a bad thing because they are one of best cars to get into the hobby with. Everybody thinks that their car is rolling across the auction block and worth way more than what it is. This has caused classic cars to be unobtainable for the average guy. When all the classic car hype is over, it will be the average guy who is still into the hobby. Lastly with my experiences restoring cars I believe that the g bodies are some of the easiest cars to work on. You can build really nice g body for less than $10,000. Try that with one of the popular 60's muscle cars.

Reactions: 2 users

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
*Lacquer paint cracking or fading (REPAINT)
*Headliners falling down (REPLACE)
*bumper fillers drying out, cracking falling apart (REPLACE)
*Power antennas failing (REAL fun job, REPLACE)
*weather stripping deterioration, cracking along windows (REPLACE)
*T Top equipped cars, prone to rot along windshield pillars and in other areas, if so (DO NOT BUY...RUN)
*Diesel equipped vehicles 4.3 V6 and or 5.7 V8 prone to head gasket failure (REPLACE)
*Rear window squeaking from dried seals from age ( REMOVE AND REPLACE SEALS)
*Hood insulation degrading (shredding -pulling apart) from leaking AC oil contaminants and engine fan air force (REPLACE)
*dash cracking form ozone and time (REPLACE/REPAIR)
*seat belts not retracting without several tugs ( REPLACE UNIT)
*Seating material tears, rips and fading from poor quality materials, age, time and ozone. ( REUPHOLSTER)
*Interior door pull strap beauty clips always missing or falling off from loosening Philip head screws behind beauty clips ( REPLACE- KEEP SCREW TIGHT)

These were truly amazing cars, and most and all issues are related to age and use.

Reactions: 3 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Slow power windows.

Lack of replaceable bearings for the wiper arms.

• Agree

88AZSS

Master Mechanic
Mar 13, 2018
Mesa, AZ
Slow power windows.

Lack of replaceable bearings for the wiper arms.

http://www.lmctruck.com/features/cc/cc9dp.htm
Heres a link to a solution to those slow windows. It says made for trucks but its a simple relay set up, nothing specific to any model. If youre handy with wiring you can even make it up yourself for a bit cheaper but it is nice to have it done and ready to install. This has the relay give full power to the motor straight from the battery instead of going through the switch and losing some power, giving that slow roll. Also grease tracks and clean connectors to motor while youre in there and you should be all set.

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
Old car = fixable old car problems (replace, repair, rework) < that's why I'm here

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users

truckdoug

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 23, 2018
Gm interiors in the late 70's and 80's = rattle & squeak

fisher carriage co = poor body and chassis quality, fit and finish (some cars are more seam sealer than car!)

• Agree

gmtofd

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 30, 2015
Water leaks as a result of the HVAC box to firewall gasket getting old have been mentioned but I've experienced with my now 40 yr old Malibu, other firewall related water leaks. With age, the seam sealer in the cowl area starts to crack resulting interior water leaks. Aged/cracked sealer applied where the upper door hinge is bolted to the body is another source of water leaks. Aged/cracked fuse box to firewall gasket is another source of water leaks.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor