Most common HELP requests that will never get answered. Learn how to ask for help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
This is more of an FYI.

When people need help, this forum usually can answer the most difficult issues and projects get to move forward. We're all in favor of that.

BUT.....I also have encountered help requests that are TOTALLY USELESS and it's amazing if ever someone answers the question at hand. This is not meant to discourage asking for help, but just like a doctor's diagnosis, the better the symptom description out of the gate, the faster you get to a more accurate diagnosis and back on the road. When you say "My car is broke, can anyone help me?", my first instinct to respond would be, "Call the wrecking yard and tell them to come haul your POS to the junkyard and buy a new car." Problem solved from my end. As you can see, this isn't the most desirable outcome.

Q and A:

1. (First post on Gbody Forum) "I saw a puddle under my car, what could be wrong?" Think about this. What would be your first response? Probably have to play 20 questions. Did a cat get under the car and piss on your muffler? Who knows?

2. "I just had my quadrajet on my 86 Monte SS rebuilt, original engine, all stock. It's running rich on start up. I tried adjusting the secondaries but all seems ok there. I saw a small hose on the front of the carb hanging off a vacuum thing nearby that isn't hooked up. Any ideas?" Now THIS is a question that gets you better situated into getting better help.

Maybe I'm getting old and grumpy. I'm not the Shell Answer Man (If you're not old enough to know what that was about, then you're not old), but when I can help, I try to do so. But lately I just pass up some of the more nebulous requests to have someone come in and save the day when there is suspicion of little or no effort on the part of the requestee. I'm not going to be that guy anymore. Learn how to at least try to figure out what's wrong, so you can come and say, "I tried X, Y and then Z, but my blinker still doesn't work..." At least that gives people a frame of reference and evidence that you're trying to learn something. People are more apt to help people that try to figure things out.

Respect the forum's collective knowledge and it will respect you. It's a two-way street. Maybe, just MAYBE, one day you'll recall that fix so you can help out someone else. Pass it on.

It's simply a two way street of respect. Obviously if you already knew the answers, you'd already fix your issue. But it always helps to lay everything on the table, or as much as you can remember of all the details. Trust me, that will go a long way into helping you quickly resolve any issues you have.

Just free advice from a grumpy old f**k.

s-l300.jpg

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 16 users

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
Some of the vague questions could come from a total lack of mechanical knowledge.

Or just lazyness.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 4 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
My only pet peeve is when someone asks for help which prompts questions from other members and the OP won't answer the questions, but rather asks more questions.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
My only pet peeve is when someone asks for help which prompts questions from other members and the OP won't answer the questions, but rather asks more questions.
i get this @ work.i reply "help me,to help you" they sometimes stop.sometimes.

Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I like the ones that ask if something will work and get 10 people with experience that have tried it and say it won't work but then 1 guy says I have never tried it but I don't see why it wouldn't work and then the OP says thanks, I thought it would work.:blam:

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor