GRAND PRIX 79 Grand Prix Resurrection

CDUNIGAN1981

Master Mechanic
Mar 15, 2015
I had no idea the ports could be different.
Is a 6x head one or the other by chance?

Remflex Inc. 12-004 - Remflex Exhaust Header Gasket Sets
Remflex Inc. 12-001 - Remflex Exhaust Header Gasket Sets
Larger ImageLarger Image
BrandRemflex Inc.Remflex Inc.
Manufacturer's Part Number12-00412-001
Part TypeExhaust Header and Manifold GasketsExhaust Header and Manifold Gaskets
Product LineRemflex Exhaust Header Gasket SetsRemflex Exhaust Header Gasket Sets
Summit Racing Equipment Part NumberRFL-12-004RFL-12-001
Price$34.39$34.39
+ to Cart+ Cart+ Cart
Customer Rating(4)(9)
Highlight Different ValuesLess Information
DescriptionExhaust Header Gaskets, Graphite, D-shaped Center with Oval End Ports, Pontiac V8, PairExhaust Header Gaskets, Graphite, D-port, Pontiac V8, Pair
Gasket MaterialGraphiteGraphite
NotesD-shaped center with oval end ports. Suggested torque is 20 ft.-lbs.-
Port Height (in)1.940 in.1.813 in.
Port StyleD-portD-port
Port Width (in)1.500 in.1.375 in.
QuantitySold as a pair.Sold as a pair.
Thickness (in)0.125 in.0.125 in.

CDUNIGAN1981

Master Mechanic
Mar 15, 2015
I've decided to just pull the motor out.
In the end, it has been 20 years since it has gone in and now is a good time with transmission needed to come out anyway.
I gave it a long hard look yesterday... it has to happen

Pull Motor for good inspection.
Install new deep oil pan
Install angled oil adapter if it ends up being needed for header clearance
Install starter
AC Delete
degrease engine and paint
degrease engine bay

Reactions: 1 user

CDUNIGAN1981

Master Mechanic
Mar 15, 2015
I need to pull transmission and Motor.

I have the manual which I'm sure details how to do this but was curious what pointers could be offered.
The manual is not with me at the moment but I'm curious to see if it has one process to pull both at once.

This will be my first Motor pull and transmission drop....

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
My 0.02:

I've done it both ways. The biggest pain is dumping transmission fluid all over the place when the drivetrain is tilted. Find a trans yoke or yoke plug and duct tape that bad boy in place. Given the choice, I prefer to split the two pieces and remove them separately, but working on your back underneath is a challenge. Get a big cardboard box and a trans jack or some strong helpers and a big cardboard box to slide it out from under. Retain the torque converter with a tie-down strap or a couple big pieces of duct tape. full of fluid, it's heavy and messy when it lands. Other benefit to splitting is the engine will lift out with less risk of damage to 40 year old parts along the way.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users

CDUNIGAN1981

Master Mechanic
Mar 15, 2015
My 0.02:

I've done it both ways. The biggest pain is dumping transmission fluid all over the place when the drivetrain is tilted. Find a trans yoke or yoke plug and duct tape that bad boy in place. Given the choice, I prefer to split the two pieces and remove them separately, but working on your back underneath is a challenge. Get a big cardboard box and a trans jack or some strong helpers and a big cardboard box to slide it out from under. Retain the torque converter with a tie-down strap or a couple big pieces of duct tape. full of fluid, it's heavy and messy when it lands. Other benefit to splitting is the engine will lift out with less risk of damage to 40 year old parts along the way.

Thank you for the response.

Just looked up 'yoke plug'.
Had no idea they existed

Easy $5 ante
Just ordered

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Sometimes the noblest purpose of one's life is to keep others from making a royal mess of theirs...

Reactions: 2 users

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Depends on the situation, If I'm not doing anything to the trans I pull just the engine - much easier since I don't remove the radiator or even the hood. I've also found that If I'm pulling engine and trans it's easier for me to pull the front clip instead of trying pick it up a mile high w/ the distributor hitting the firewall (SBC) and the hassle of trying to get it in and out of the engine bay. Ditto the yoke plug

IMG_4725.JPG

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I guess I do sh*t the hard way. I pulled the bumper, header panel, and core support to get it all out at once. The little Harbor Freight trans jacks are helpful ,too.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I did the current engine/transmission install on a naked frame. Even pulled the old engine off naked old frame from which made it easier for the jagoffs who stole the Saginaw with shifter to do so.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have always pulled the BBC out of my Monte by itself from the side while in my garage with the Monte on jack stands so I have room to work underneath.

• Agree

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor