GRAND PRIX 79 Grand Prix Resurrection

CDUNIGAN1981

Master Mechanic
Mar 15, 2015
Unless the 2004R is built with a billet forward drum and welded on shaft, it won't live behind your torque.
Stage 2 from extreme automatics is currently in the lead. Spoke to Lonnie today

Honestly... I can't hardly believe Im considering such a price tag

I gave $1150 for the car as a Junior in HS

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user

CDUNIGAN1981

Master Mechanic
Mar 15, 2015
This tread is a nutshell summary of everything I have heard about Poncho motors and 200-4r's
https://gbodyforum.com/threads/can-a-200-4r-survive-a-worked-pontiac-400.51426/page-2
Each day I creep a littler closer to pulling this trigger.

Once I work out the transmission swap, I need to decide on exhaust.

Currently I have RamAir manifolds, 2" torgue tech pipes, 40 series Flows ending at axle

I'm have a pair of Maddog headers

1. Anyone with similar setup use a catalog system?
2. Opinions on muffler choice and sound impact

I have never had tail pipes on it so I'm curious what 3" 40 Series Flows with sound behind these headers if the sound exited from so much farther back.
It is crazy loud as it is... It is hard to shop for mufflers without trying each out individually until you dig the sound

Thanks for the input... this place is pretty cool

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I'd go with a minimum 2.5" mandrel bent kit.
it's been fairly well known that Flowmasters are contradictory to their name (don't flow as well as they sound), and drone ridiculously. I'm more partial to the perforated tube, straight through design like a Pypes, Borla, or Magnaflow. I actually have all 3 on different vehicles.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I'd go with a minimum 2.5" mandrel bent kit.
it's been fairly well known that Flowmasters are contradictory to their name (don't flow as well as they sound), and drone ridiculously. I'm more partial to the perforated tube, straight through design like a Pypes, Borla, or Magnaflow. I actually have all 3 on different vehicles.
Which ones do you like the best? Especially curious about the Olds v8. Sorry to hijack.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I have shorty headers, custom 2.5" dual down pipes into a compact X pipe into dual 2.5" pipes that exit behind the wheels. With the Aerochamber mufflers, it sounds amazing on my 88 Cutlass, just loud enough and the right tone. I tried moving it to my 70 Cutlass. Loud and droning without the same tone. I moved it back to the 88.

78GP400

Greasemonkey
Mar 2, 2017
Hartville, Ohio
You may want to call Vince Janis from Janis Transmission in Akron, Ohio. He has been building 2004rs for many years for the turbo Buick crowd. He builds all of Lorenz racing turbo Buick’s which are all serious builds. Pretty reasonable too. I got mine through him and it’s been great!
I have the Maddog Headers with 3 inch pipes to Borla mufflers. Loud when your into it but otherwise pretty reasonable. Low to no drone.
Pretty cool build! Keep it up!

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users

CDUNIGAN1981

Master Mechanic
Mar 15, 2015
You may want to call Vince Janis from Janis Transmission in Akron, Ohio. He has been building 2004rs for many years for the turbo Buick crowd. He builds all of Lorenz racing turbo Buick’s which are all serious builds. Pretty reasonable too. I got mine through him and it’s been great!
I have the Maddog Headers with 3 inch pipes to Borla mufflers. Loud when your into it but otherwise pretty reasonable. Low to no drone.

Your exhaust is wonderful... it a shame it has to be on the underside of the car.
I'm going to look into Janis

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
Lonnie Diers also is well known in the Buick world and has quite a few of his 200 4r's in 9 second cars.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor