Motor mounts???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
I'm going to be swapping my Elcos 350 for a 383 shortly and I'm getting (I hope) everything I'll need ahead of time. I've been checking out new MMs. On my factory ones I had to cut part of one off to clear a header tube. Are these new ones with polyurethane any smaller or would I still have the same problem?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
The polys need you to gut the rubber from the stock shells. From when I did mine with a Energy Suspension set, I found out (originally ignored the instructions) that you'll have to leave the frame side loose enough to drop the engine on them. Then get the bolts in loose until you get the frame mounts squared & tightened down. Since everything was done as one unit I got the transmission mount snugged in place until everything looked squared. FYI, I replaced all my frame side with grade 8 9/16-18 flange bolts, running the bolts up from the inside of the frame, made it easier to install everything (of course I'm working on a bodyless frame so it would be.)

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I'm going to be swapping my Elcos 350 for a 383 shortly and I'm getting (I hope) everything I'll need ahead of time. I've been checking out new MMs. On my factory ones I had to cut part of one off to clear a header tube. Are these new ones with polyurethane any smaller or would I still have the same problem?
I am guessing you had to cut the upper clamsheel for clearance and not the lower frame mount.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Yes it was the upper on the passenger side with Hooker headers
The older style mounts used on A body cars with the rubber or urethane on the upper engine mount and the lower mount being solid will have more clearance but I don't know if our frames have the holes for that style lower mount.
The Gbody mounts have the "captured" lower mount with the rubber insert that would still limit travel in case of a breakage.
The most clearance would be gained with solid mounts depending on what you plans are for the car.
I ran notched clamshell uppers with solid lowers and never had a problem because of the notch but eventually switched to smaller Moroso solid mounts for more clearance when I went with my Lemons Headers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor